Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By STR8-EG
#338454 How many use your your EG's for Daily drivers?

I just picked up a '93 EG Hatch and will start to put some money into it but I also want it to be my daily driver.

Any sugestions?

Thanks
By Apexracing
#338457 Well i would recommend buying quality parts that will improve your experience during your daily commute. Such as good tires, quality brake pads, a good suspension (such as koni yellows with the ground control coil over kit) Stainless steel braided brake hoses are nice also.
By HeikDiesel
#338459 I use a 92 CX as a daily driver. ~40 miles a day and gets roughly 43mpg. Now slightly less since I just put snow tires on it.
By suspendedHatch
#338463 I just bought a VX for a daily driver. Can't drive the STi every day. It's just too much car! lol

I disagree with putting aftermarket suspension on a daily. I prefer something comfy that can handle all conditions ie stock. I'm going to try putting ITR springs/struts/lcas on the VX, only because I already have a set sitting in the garage. Hopefully it doesn't jack the car up any higher :lol:

I recommend an alarm/keyless entry, kill switch, ipod stereo, oem cruise control swap, Integra front seats, Integra sway bars, gsr front strut tower brace, Integra front lower brace, rear disc brakes, trunk light, clock, door chime delete, headlight chime addition, VTAK! light, tilt wheel swap, multi-speed wiper swap.

Make some mdf mounts for the front speakers, run upgraded speaker wire into the doors, and apply a dynamat speaker kit.

Do the extended maintenance including ignition timing, steering rack adjustment, valve adjustment, clean out the intake manifold, seafoam, clean out the blower motor / AC evaporator, tighten the throttle cable, bleed the brakes and clutch, lubricate the caliper pins, and tighten the parking brake lever.

Strip some weight off of it:
front and rear 5mph bumper supports
intake manifold bracket
driver's knee bolster
lower ignition shield
intake resonator box and warm air intake
rear speakers
airbag system (to remove the airbags themselves you'll want a new steering wheel and a dash block off plate for 94, 95)
By HeikDiesel
#338464 Integra suspension will raise your car suspended. It's what I have on my CX

Edit: I just have 94 LS springs, not sure if the springs on an ITR are different
By MistahJuice
#338465 I DD my civic, as modded as possible while still being California legal, at least visually lol. Not really a big deal to mod it in my opinion. Most annoying thing is going up and down steep driveways/speed bumps but the roads aren't that bad out here. Modded b18c Still gets around 32mpg highway/28 street though I am running rich at low revs right now. Do whatever u want. This is my only car so I have fun with it where I can. Also the koni/GC autox/DD setup makes for fun times when u feel like hitting the corners though I wish it was. Little stiffer when actually autoxing
By Apexracing
suspendedHatch wrote:I just bought a VX for a daily driver. Can't drive the STi every day. It's just too much car! lol

I disagree with putting aftermarket suspension on a daily. I prefer something comfy that can handle all conditions ie stock. I'm going to try putting ITR springs/struts/lcas on the VX, only because I already have a set sitting in the garage. Hopefully it doesn't jack the car up any higher :lol:

I recommend an alarm/keyless entry, kill switch, ipod stereo, oem cruise control swap, Integra front seats, Integra sway bars, gsr front strut tower brace, Integra front lower brace, rear disc brakes, trunk light, clock, door chime delete, headlight chime addition, VTAK! light, tilt wheel swap, multi-speed wiper swap.

Make some mdf mounts for the front speakers, run upgraded speaker wire into the doors, and apply a dynamat speaker kit.

Do the extended maintenance including ignition timing, steering rack adjustment, valve adjustment, clean out the intake manifold, seafoam, clean out the blower motor / AC evaporator, tighten the throttle cable, bleed the brakes and clutch, lubricate the caliper pins, and tighten the parking brake lever.

Strip some weight off of it:
front and rear 5mph bumper supports
intake manifold bracket
driver's knee bolster
lower ignition shield
intake resonator box and warm air intake
rear speakers
airbag system (to remove the airbags themselves you'll want a new steering wheel and a dash block off plate for 94, 95)

A comfy car to me equals a lazy handling car. I cannot drive a car that is uninteresting it bores me to death lol. I drive my ep every where for the nice months out of the year on 10k/12k springs lol.
By STR8-EG
#338484 Well to start I have done some conveniences

Better stereo & speakers
New Tires
Keyless entry and actuators

This weekend will be new struts and lowering springs not a big fan of the stock springs, car sits to high.

Overall the car is in great shape and has very little body body rust.

The VTEC engine itself only has a little over 100k on it and has been very well maintained.
By STR8-EG
#338489 lol.... yeah I know!!!!
By 92egdxhatch
#338491 I daily drive a 94 EX coupe, 293,610 miles and still kicking!
By suspendedHatch
Apexracing wrote:
A comfy car to me equals a lazy handling car. I cannot drive a car that is uninteresting it bores me to death lol. I drive my ep every where for the nice months out of the year on 10k/12k springs lol.

I agree wholeheartedly, but with a GSR front and rear sway bars; possibly a Progress 24mm rear sway and some chassis bracing, the car doesn't feel too sloppy. If the ITR springs don't work out for me, maybe I'll get some Eibach's for the ITR struts.

A super stiff car on the street skips and bounces across the road surface. The idiot behind the wheel may think harshness equals performance, but the bottom line is the tires don't maintain contact with the road. Also, the body of these cars are so damn loose that it's stupid to have stiff suspension on it.

Stock springs are the polar opposite, allowing too much body roll so that only the outside tires in a turn are making traction. Some combination of practical spring rates, stiff swaybars and functional chassis bracing makes for the best driving experience.

My standards have altered quite a bit after getting the STi. The chassis of that car is rock solid. There's very little body roll for street conditions, and it is stupid fast for a street car. In the VX I'm seeking something lightweight, simple, raw, and economical. The problem is that it's so easy to make drastic improvements to a Civic's handling - you can't help but get addicted.

I now just acquired a CRX / D16Y5 project I was building for somebody. I will probably drop my GSR into the VX and use the CRX as my mileage whore.
By silverEG8
#338501 I drive a 95 DX, it has 171, 510 kilometers in it.