Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Ivank88
#336442 Finally replaced the bent rims on the hatch only to find this. WTF???? Any Ideas on how to fix this? I was thinking drill bigger hole and tap it maybe? Im also getting a clunking noise from the back right. Sounds like its coming from the strut but I cant recreate it from outside the car. Ideas??? Thanx in advance guys

By JohnRM
#336447 The clunking can be from this. Take it off and see if you can move it. There's a bushing that holds that in place
By HeikDiesel
#336457 Is that the rear upper arm? Am I the only one having problems seeing what's going on. The bushing is obviously shot
By rootbeer_eg
#336458 there the heck is the bolt on the right side?

and that bushing looks like it been put through a playdoh extruding machine
By TrailerTrash
#336460 :shock: :shock: :shock:

looks to me like someone snapped the bolt off so they put a shitty bandaid of a weld on it instead and welding it melted the bushing apart.
By teal_dx
#336466 That's a fine hack job by someone who should not be allowed to own tools or a car.
To replace that bushing, you're going to have to grind off that crappy weld, replace the entire piece, and tap out what's left of the old bolt and replace the bolt.
By nd1983
teal_dx wrote:That's a fine hack job by someone who should not be allowed to own tools or a car.
To replace that bushing, you're going to have to grind off that crappy weld, replace the entire piece, and tap out what's left of the old bolt and replace the bolt.

What Teal Said
I've had to do it, its not fun but do able and will fix the issue
By Ivank88
#336502 Ya I know the bushing is shot. Car needs struts too and I found out while I was under there (only owned the car for a month) that previous owner CUT THE SPRINGS OFF GC COILS!!!!! All 4 of them. Ppl are morons. I emailed Eibach and they want $70/spring to replace the springs. By the time I buy new springs/struts I could have already bought one piece coils so Im thinkin that's the route im gonna go. Im gonna order an aftermarket set of adjustable toe arms and then try to fix the issue and hopefully resolve the clunking. Motor runs good (D16Z6) but will be coming out within a yr for my H2B swap.
By HeikDiesel
#336517 Just to clarify those aren't toe arms. If anything they would be called camber arms.
By Ivank88
#336518 Well I know its for camber but the parts I've been seeing are calling them Camber Kit Toe Casting so that's why I was calling them that lol. Wasn't sure the exact name of the part. Plus when I wrote that on google the right part comes up haha
By -paul
#336522 Fuuuckkk. That's horrendous. That sort of shit would make me buy another EG.
By juls1488
Ivank88 wrote: I emailed Eibach and they want $70/spring to replace the springs.

get them right from ground control. 64$ a piece.
you can pick your desired sping length and rate.
Ground Control Store
or you can get any coil over spring that has a 2.5" inner diameter, like summit, hyperco, swift, etc.
By JohnRM
#336553 Either way, the most important issue right now is, how is he going to fix his biggest problem? That arm looks like it's welded in place. Is it worth it?
By Ivank88
JohnRM wrote:Either way, the most important issue right now is, how is he going to fix his biggest problem? That arm looks like it's welded in place. Is it worth it?

Its not toooooo terribly difficult. Just way more of a Pain in the ass then 2 bolts lol. Grind it off tap it out and replace. Im honestly hoping I may be able to EZ out it once I have it ground down. Wishful thinking prolly lol but who knows.
By TrailerTrash
#336601 i highly doubt you are ever going to EZout that bolt dude. i think its going to be a nightmare and then some

the other bolt might snap off too when you try to loosen it