Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By martin850
#335185 Hi! I´m just about to buy my first civic and I´m a bit confused! I´m very close to purchase a 93 civic hatch with the 1.5 90hp engine (VX EG4 I think?) and I want to make sure what the differences are between the 1.5 and the 1.6 VTi? I don´t want to buy a 1.5 VX civic and then don´t have the same possibilities for further modifications as I would with a 1.6 EG6.

From what I have understood the B18C (integra Type R engine) fits right into the Civic 1.6 VTi (EG6 right?) and I´m wondering if it will fit just as easy in the 1.5 version? Same thing with transmission upgrades, will they be just as possible with the 1.5 civic?

Are all the brackets/screw holes in the chassi the same in every 5th generation civic hatch? Do I have the same modification possibilities with the 1.5 civic as with the 1.6 when doing other mopdifications like suspension tuning and brakes, drivetrain...?

I can´t afford a 1.6 eg6 right now and therefore this dilemma but if they are the same when it comes to modifying and swapping engines and drivertrain I´ll buy this one and start a project over time. I would really appreciate some help with this since I´m close to buying this car and want to make a good decision!

And sorry guys for my bad english!

Best regards,
Martin
By FG2_Andrew
#335187 Hey man! All D, B, H series drop right in, with the proper mounts and support parts.

Any OBD1 D will drop right in. With B, OBD1 will drop in with B mounts, axles, and proper trans(hydro). Along with you will need all sensors, harness, and ecu.

Almost any swap is possible! Just depends on how much of a project you would like to undertake. Do NOT over pay for the 1.5 unless its spotless. A lot of people think they have gold mines in their EG hatches regardless or mods or lack there of.

If you have any doubts, post the FS link and anyone would be happy to share their input.
By suspendedHatch
#335190 By "OBD1" he is referring to 92-95 (in the US) Civics and Integras. OBD means On Board Diagnostics and it's a federally imposed standard regarding the ECUs. What it means for us is that the wiring is nearly identical. You can put in a 92-95 Integra wire harness, add a few wires and it's good to go.
By FG2_Andrew
#335197 ^ yeah, that. haha

typed that out at work! let us know if you need any more help, brotha.
By martin850
#335230 Thanks guys! So basically it´s just the right replaceable engine mounts, wiring and the ECU that´s required? No modifications on the chassis/frame itself?
Is there any disadvantage when it comes to modifying suspension and brakes with a 1.5 eg4 LSi compared to the 1.6 eg6?
Bykutthroatkrow
#335232 No mods to the frame needed. Just proper parts like the mounts and such. Suspension is same on all 2/3dr eg's.
By FG2_Andrew
#335236 just to be clear.... for the sake of saying this goes for 92-95 civics.

YOUR CAR: 92-95 (any chassis) with a D(1.5)B8/7 motor/trans
DONOR MOTOR: 92-95 Civic (any chassis) D(1.6)Z6 motor/trans

will bolt directly in. you will not need different axles or mounts, BUT you will need the correct ECU and harness. as the 1.5 does not come with vtec (well, there are a few 1.5s that do, but skip that for now).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

YOUR CAR: 92-95 (any chassis) with a D(1.5)B8/7 motor/trans
DONOR MOTOR: 94-01 Integra (any chassis) B(1.8.)- motor/trans
------- ----------- 99-00 Civic (Si only) B(1.6)- motor/trans

you will need: the motor, trans, axles, mounts, computer, and engine harness.
By suspendedHatch
#335239 It most likely has rear drum brakes, and smaller front brakes, but those can be swapped.