Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By davidomalley
#327037 was just trying to find some pictures of one of these actually installed. Doesn't seem worth the amount of stiffness this will provide. might also be heavy

By Leppy
#327038 I've personally installed one like this on an S2000, and can vouch that it's a VERY noticeable improvement in handling. It's probably the same level on an EG, but I can't say for sure. I don't think you'll notice the weight difference either.
By davidomalley
#327040 ahhh...might be worth getting.

does anybody have experience on an EG?

looking for spirited daily driving and multiple autocross events throughout the year. not a dedicated weekend racer.
By Leppy
davidomalley wrote:too late...i already bought a nicely loooking scraped up one from ebay for $40 shipped.

Post your thoughts on it after you get in and run it a few times!
By davidomalley
Leppy wrote:
davidomalley wrote:too late...i already bought a nicely loooking scraped up one from ebay for $40 shipped.

Post your thoughts on it after you get in and run it a few times!

Mos definitely.....looks like this spring I will be upgrading to 1998 Integra front calipers, brake booster, and master cylinder along with this installing this brace.

Looking forward to spirited driving & some auto cross.
By Civic_HatchSI
#327052 How low do those hang anyways? They must get hung up a lot, by the looks of it.
By rustyrex
#327059 When you install it can you try to take a picture or two. I am looking at buying that exact blue in a couple weeks when I order my coil overs. I want to know pretty much what other people do. What is your impression of it? How low does it hang? Where exactly it mounts? I would really appreciate it.
By onibakagaijin
#327071 I'd be careful with those because they have been known to create unbalanced chassis load spots, prone to catching things and some welds don't hold. Friends who rally, autos and endurance have said to stay away as they normally connect along existing cross sections that don't require a brace, hence the extra chassis load. Supposedly the idea is like a x-brace but ineffective. Plus they can block access to under the engine or get stuff caught there.
By rustyrex
#327076 so a X brace would be better it sounds like? i dont plan on doing any type of auto x or anything. i just drive like a dick on the freeway and way a good road hugging car.
By onibakagaijin
#327102 Well a xbrace better distributes stresses across itself instead of into the corners like and h-brace. Its essentially a box bolted to your chassis so as load pressures go outward this seems to be what causes stress breaks. Like any engineered structure a cross design is strong than a four cornered box. If you look at the better engineered examples you'll see they use mostly 45 degree and 180 degree angles as opposed to 90 degree angles. Kinda like having a roll cage. If you had a simple box the stress of a crash would make it fail, so instead you try to stay away from a 90 degree angle as much as possible. Basic structural engineering but as with many ebay items, the makers are looking for a quick buck so the fastest and cheapest route is to make a box, despite it being a weaker design. Google subframe brace and you'll see better examples. Also, like with the rear braces, a simple bar design can ruin the rear which is why we see ASR, BWR, Beaks and many other companies switch to the cage design (ie a unit that encloses the structure). This way stresses are distributed across the unit instead of into a hard angle, which is a weak point. Hope this helps.

Below are examples of a better design since they midigate stresses across the frame better than the ebay unit we so commonly see.

By onibakagaijin
#327103 Also...sorry if I didn't say, but by xbrace I mean cross or angled. It can either be a literal X design or angled ( crossing a point at an angle ) design. Squares are weak is all.