Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Crabloc93
#322719 Just recently I found out my car does burn oil, theres no leaks from what I can see, and the car doesn't smoke. I have the stock D15B7 motor with about 170K on it. Does anyone have any ideas on why my engine is burning oil?
By josh93coupe
#322722 Rings, Valve seals... Compression and leak down test.
By MG6
#325852 are you sure the oil is not leaking around the valve cover gasket? Dist O-ring? Cam seal area (might need to open the timing cover to see the gasket). Oil pan gasket?

Check and double check these areas as they are free.
By wakkjobb
Crabloc93 wrote:Just recently I found out my car does burn oil, there are no leaks from what I can see, and the car doesn't smoke. I have the stock D15B7 motor with about 170K on it. Does anyone have any ideas on why my engine is burning oil?

No smoke and you say it's burning oil? Can you smell oil burning? My B7 was leaking around the oil pan; specifically the rear area above the exhaust pipe... that smelled great. It also leaked around the dizzy as stated above, and the front main seal is leaking a bit.

Clean it off at a DIY car wash and check again; maybe old gunk is caked on enough to hide drips.

+1 for valve seals and/or rings and pressure testing if possible. I've been told it's possible to re-seat the valve seals; pop off the cover and press them back down... haven't done it but it may be another option?

>>Dan