Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Crabloc93
#322067 Hey guys, I'm new to the car thing, and YES I know it isn't cheap, but I love my 93 Honda Hatchback, and I want to make it even better then it is now. Im sure you have gotten this question a bunch of times, on where to start on building a car. The only issue though is my hatch IS an automatic, I plan on doing a 5spd swap once the tranny goes bad. Iv'e done my research and gotten input from friends. I don't plan on racing either, I just want my car to perform better. From what Ive been told, buying some ground control coilovers would be the first thing I would want to do.. I plan on getting an air intake, and a new exaust system sometime in the spring, and would appreciate some input on whats the best to buy, and the best to start on.
By josh93coupe
#322070 It just depends really. There isnt one best place to start persay, it just depends what you want to do. Also if you plan to buy the ground control coilovers, your going to want to buy a set of struts to go with them. Koni's are a favorite. Before you start on anything motor related i would do the 5 speed conversion.
By Anjreu
#322082 Id say make sure your engine is reliable by replacing gaskets/seals/fluids ect. if you havent done that already. You can do that while doing the 5speed swap if you wanted to.

Then when upgrading suspension check out your bushings and what not.

Thats just me though, I have a relatively stock ex. with 5 speed and vtec, It's plenty of fun to drive for now until I can follow through with future plans :twisted:
By teal_dx
#322084 Suspension makes the far more fun to drive. I'd start there. In the meantime, start collecting all of the parts needed for the 5 speed swap. If you look around, deals can be found. :thumb:
By Crabloc93
#322113 Whats the cheapest coilovers I can buy? Can I find any under a grand? Also is it bad to get the ram intakes off ebay, or is it better to buy an aem air intake?
By josh93coupe
#322115 The cheapest you can buy are probably like 50 BUT you dont want them, its not going to do anything good for your car. Koni struts and Ground control coil overs are very popular, and will cost right around 900. I have heard a lot of good about the Function and form type 1s, you can find them for about 550.
By teal_dx
#322133 Agree, decent coilover setups start around $600. Ebay intakes are fine but they come with cheap filters. I would keep the tubing and replace the filter with a K&N.
By TrailerTrash
#322137 while you have the car apart for a 5 speed swap, get a lightweight flywheel. makes a huge difference. and getting a short geared EX/Si tranny will make for even more fun :thumb:

and before you swap the linkage in you might aswell replace the shifter/linkage bushings with some Energy Suspension bushings. also a perfect time to install/make a short shifter
By iZack-Cards
#322232 hahahaha this helped me alot to, i'm starting with apparel my 93 hb now is being painted in like a blue metalic more like the STI's, i put the SiR 00" wheels on and the CF spoon like mirrors, just bought the Type R honda logos and OEM sidemarkers... i'm planning to put a b20z/vtec just to improve a little the performance hahahaha but before that swap i want to put some toyos 205/50 or 45 /R15 and then lower it... change the rear brake system from drum to Disc and then the engine

Edit:
wich brands do you recomend to look by not racing springs and coils $3000 kit from Tein but just to have them in mind

sorry for my awkward english its not my first language
Last edited by iZack-Cards on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By blk92hb
#322233 if you are going to do a b20 then i wouldnt worry about the trans till you do the swap.
By iZack-Cards
blk92hb wrote:if you are going to do a b20 then i wouldnt worry about the trans till you do the swap.

i didnt started the topic brou :)
By Crabloc93
blk92hb wrote:if you are going to do a b20 then i wouldnt worry about the trans till you do the swap.
No, I think im going to do a b16 swap, but Ive heard Hondas Auto Trannys are real delicate and can't handle that kind of power
By iZack-Cards
Crabloc93 wrote:
No, I think im going to do a b16 swap, but Ive heard Hondas Auto Trannys are real delicate and can't handle that kind of power

auto tranny wont hold the 6,500+ RPMs so if you gonna do swap you will need to do the Full Swap Tranny, harness, ECU, etc...