Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By noerod
#320109 Yeah hi, I'm looking for a roll cage for my 1992 eg hatch, the cage im after consist of a funtional roll cage for street use and occasional road course. I've already seen those crapy Godspeed cages and that product is not for me. If you guys have any good suggestion or know where to purchase a well built cage please let me know. Looking for 6 pt 7pt or 8pt cage. Thanks
By EJ1_MK
#320111 What is your budget?
By noerod
#320112 My budget for the roll cage at the moment is 1000 dollars. I can go a little over that if necessary.
By noerod
#320132 Thanks for the link, this website actually has functional cages, I'll probably go that way.
By EJ1_MK
#320133 You should look around at local chassis shops and see if you can't get one made for the same amount of money.

Also you might want to check local laws in your area, certain states deam door bars as illegal to drive on the street with, so going with a 6 or 8 pt with x door bars or even NASCAR style like what is asked in NASA and SCCA might not pass state inspection or if you get pulled over could cause issues.

I know here it is that way. 6 pt is about all you can go before the car is no longer legal for street use.

A 4pt would be fine for daily use and help with chassis rigidity & safety.
By EJ1_MK
HeikDiesel wrote:www.artmorrison.com

But does he actually make them for civic's, looks like he works more with old school chevy's That and you would still have to weld it in which would cost more money. and still have to certified thru SCCA or NASA if he wanted to add to it later.
By HeikDiesel
#321033 Nope he makes them for civics. I've bought one personally.

And you want a cage that you just bolt in? No thanks
By EJ1_MK
HeikDiesel wrote:Nope he makes them for civics. I've bought one personally.

And you want a cage that you just bolt in? No thanks

Do you know what size tubing he is using? and if they are NASA/ SCCA compliant?

I agree yeah bolt in cages are no good
By HeikDiesel
#321052 Depends if you run mild steel dom or chromoly.
By jiffi
#322595 check stable
energies they sell safety device cages and autopower. another option is custom cages in England
By JUICE
#322596 Yea, bolt-ins are junk. Find a local shop/person that builds them.

You should only put a cage in your car once it's absolutely necessary. It's dangerous driving around with one without a helmet on.
By AutoXRacer
#327876 I have mine that's going to be welded in, I use it for the track 85% of the time but I do take it out on the street a lot, and if you do daily drive it or take it out on the streets definitely but cushioning around the bars up front.

Also wanted to point out that I read on some forum somewhere that most states in the US deem door bars illegal unless they are removable. So instead of welding the door bars you can weld brackets and make them similar to strut bars.

Another thing is (if this is his case) a lot of states will not allow welded roll cages on the streets, but if they are bolted in place then it is actually considered a bunch of strut bars because it is removable and will pass inspection and police checks.

But with most of the guys saying. Bolt ins are junk and should always weld them for the support and rigidness you will need if you do manage to roll the car. There is a video of a mustang at an event that had a bolt in cage and flipped his car flat onto the roof, the entire roof was flat due to the bolts where the roll cage snapped. Collapsed the whole cage. Welding is needed for roll cages.