Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By xhardlinerx
#319491 I have ebay headers and a 3" ebay full catback exhaust system that is too loud for me.

What would be the easiest and cheapest way to make my car more quiet?

Could I just have my Exhaust tip cut off and then put a another exhaust tip on it like a yonaka tip? (would the yonaka tip make my car quiet?) Or would I have to get the whole yonaka exhaust system.

Whats the easiest OEM exhaust to put on that doesnt restrict much? I heard a type r exhaust is expensive and hard for a shop to fabricate.

If i cant get a oem peformance or quiet exhaust then I will get a stock exhaust. I dont know how much power I would lose, maybe about 5 HP from my 170 stock hbp.

I seen a stock 1999 B16A2 SI exhaust with out the catalytic converter for $135 on craigslist. Could I just have a muffler shop get a catalyic converter added on?
By teal_dx
#319504 Unless you're running a turbo setup pushing ~300 HP, there is no need for a 3" exhaust system. And never buy a no-name ebay exhaust because it will sound loud and horrible, especially in 3". Especially if there is no resonator or it is hollow (as it often is on ebay exhausts). Especially if your motor is N/A and not turbo's to muffle some of the sound. Especially if the cat has also been replaced with a test pipe or ebay cat.

I'd give up on getting the ebay exhaust to sound good and buy a name brand or OEM one. An OEM cat will make a huge difference in sound quality. :thumb:
By nd1983
#319516 if it was me, muffler would be it. a proper size muffler will quiet it down, but also restrict it.
By xhardlinerx
#319552 Im going to buy a stock si muffler on craigslist then, the guy doesn't have the catalytic converter. Do muffler shops already have catalytic converters for sell and installation? Or do I have to buy a actual honda catalytic converter from a junk yard and have them install one.

I bought the car and it already had a ebay exhaust and header. Im either going to sell my b16a engine and get a type r motor or turbo the b16.
By nd1983
xhardlinerx wrote:Im going to buy a stock si muffler on craigslist then, the guy doesn't have the catalytic converter. Do muffler shops already have catalytic converters for sell and installation? Or do I have to buy a actual honda catalytic converter from a junk yard and have them install one.

I bought the car and it already had a ebay exhaust and header. Im either going to sell my b16a engine and get a type r motor or turbo the b16.

just cut off the old muffler behind the axle and install the new muffler. it can be done at home with some clamps and wrenches
By teal_dx
#319558 If the piping is 3", you'll have to use a bunch of reducers to get the dia. down to the side of the stock muffler. It could work, but You're gonna have a lot of reducers & clamps. Plus I doubt the 3" mid-pipe has a silencer as OEM and most quality aftermarket mid-pipes do. If you can get an OEM cat, it's easy to bolt in yourself because it's a direct fit. If you go to a muffler shop, it will most likely be an aftermarket cat which may require modification to fit.
Technically you're not supposed to buy/sell used cats except for the purpose of recycling but a good used cat will still work fine as long as it still has the elements inside. :thumb: