Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By xhardlinerx
#318196 This is the first time I filled my car up and the gas pump cut off at 6.5 gallons.

Do I have a bad fuel gauge because I read that 92 civic SI models have a fuel tank capacity of 11.9 gallons.

If I do have a bad gauge then I will just fill my tank up to 10 gallons regardless if the pump cuts off.

I have B16A engine that has a crome tuned ecu chipped on p28.
By bigJOE671
xhardlinerx wrote:This is the first time I filled my car up and the gas pump cut off at 6.5 gallons.

Do I have a bad fuel gauge because I read that 92 civic SI models have a fuel tank capacity of 11.9 gallons.

If I do have a bad gauge then I will just fill my tank up to 10 gallons regardless if the pump cuts off.

I have B16A engine that has a crome tuned ecu chipped on p28.

You have a bad something...

When I fill up my 94 Si I usually get around 10.1 gallons before the pump cuts off.
By TrailerTrash
#318200 when u fill it till the pump shuts off... does the gauge read a full tank?

the pump doesnt always cut off when the tanks full. it can really stop at any time. on some pumps i have a hard time actually pumping the gas because it shuts off every 2 seconds. :x

when i first got my coupe i wanted to know exactly how full was full so i left the ignition on and watched the fuel gauge as i was pumping and when the pump cut off the gauge wasnt even reading full. so i kept pumping and it eventually filled up the whole way.
By MMastro
#318220 My CX tank holds 10.2 I believe and I've filled pretty close to that once or twice. Some pumps don't want to fill my tank up all the way also and click off well before the tank is actually full. I just roughly keep track of my mileage so I know when this happens.

USDM we didn't get low fuel level senders and a gauge indicator like the UK and other did. The light and sender can be added and I have bookmarks if your interested just PM me. I have a UKDM VTI cluster for sale which has the fuel low indicator, but the Si's also have them over there I think too.
Last edited by MMastro on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Apexracing
#318221 simple fix, pull the gas nozzle out of the filler by and inch or two when filling. The pump can detect the level of fuel based on flow. If your pointing the nozzle right up against the filler tube then it can deflect and shut the pump off. Also there should be a breather line ontop of the tank somewhere to allow air to escape as fuel is filled into the tank. If its plugged you will have a hard time filling your tank because air pressure will slow down the fuel going into the tank shutting the pump off every 30 seconds or so.
By xhardlinerx
Apexracing wrote:simple fix, pull the gas nozzle out of the filler by and inch or two when filling. The pump can detect the level of fuel based on flow. If your pointing the nozzle right up against the filler tube then it can deflect and shut the pump off. Also there should be a breather line ontop of the tank somewhere to allow air to escape as fuel is filled into the tank. If its plugged you will have a hard time filling your tank because air pressure will slow down the fuel going into the tank shutting the pump off every 30 seconds or so.

I still haven't figured out how to take out the breather line, but I drove my car until it was barely almost out of gas and I filled it up. I got around 7 gallons before the gas pump cut off. I then pressed down on the gas nozzle lever to fill it up more and it cut off immediately and I saw gas try to come out of the tank (the metal disc inside the tank was preventing the overflowing gas to come inside the tank). I then kept pressing the gas nozzle lever down for about 2 seconds and then I let my hand off the lever and stopped. The gas was overflowing trying to come out of the tank and the metal disc that is penetrated in by the gas nozzle was preventing that overflowing gas to come inside the gas tank. I had to penetrate that metal disc with the gas nozzle to allow that gas to go in the tank. I repeatedly pressed the gas lever down for 2 seconds and then released my hand and penetrated the gas disc to alow that gas to go through the tank untill I reached 9 gallons and decided that was enough because it took forever to get those 2 extra gallons.
By Apexracing
#318842 Yea def sounds like air is built up in your tank. My bet is the breather hose is plugged or pinched.
By Ajax1989
#318848 Egs are famous for havin bad fuel levels in the tank. i had the same issue whwre i was only gettin 14mpg.. Id have half a tank but my gauge showed E.. this is prob ur reason
By NEBR8D
#319358 I drive 33 miles to work and 33 miles back home. Something is wrong. I was in the red coming home work and only had to fill it to 9.1 gallons. Something is wrong. any luck?