Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By VTECfreak03
#316503 hey guys u might remeber me posting and asking on the b16 swap, but i did a lot of research lately and found out that a k20 is much better. I'm going with the k20. I just need to know is putting a k20 into a eg hatch a bolt on affiar or i need some mounts and stuff.( Yes i didnt forget the wiring.) :?
By bigJOE671
VTECfreak03 wrote:hey guys u might remeber me posting and asking on the b16 swap, but i did a lot of research lately and found out that a k20 is much better. I'm going with the k20. I just need to know is putting a k20 into a eg hatch a bolt on affiar or i need some mounts and stuff.( Yes i didnt forget the wiring.) :?

Well for beginners the swap is going to cost $5000+ if you plan on buying most of your parts new. If you got the funds then go right ahead.

It's definitely not a bolt-on affair.
By Apexracing
bigJOE671 wrote:
VTECfreak03 wrote:hey guys u might remeber me posting and asking on the b16 swap, but i did a lot of research lately and found out that a k20 is much better. I'm going with the k20. I just need to know is putting a k20 into a eg hatch a bolt on affiar or i need some mounts and stuff.( Yes i didnt forget the wiring.) :?

Well for beginners the swap is going to cost $5000+ if you plan on buying most of your parts new. If you got the funds then go right ahead.

3000 should be plenty if you get a usdm motor, trans ect. Its not hard just tedious.
By mADmAN
#316531 yes ull need some mounts.. hasport has the k swap mounts

and ull also need the header as well iirc....n dont forget the shifter box too
By asianrob
#316539 like they said its not hard. you gotta chop some metal up but no biggie.

K20a2 motor and trans are getting a little more affordable meowadays
By HeikDiesel
Apexracing wrote:
bigJOE671 wrote:

3000 should be plenty if you get a usdm motor, trans ect. Its not hard just tedious.

If you can do full k20 swaps for 3k you should do them for a living. And if you're going with the USDM k20 you might as well go with a ITR swap. About the same price, same power, less issues.
By Apexracing
#316570 Zero issues for a k20a2 its a very good motor and a hell of allot cheaper then the k20a which will not pass us emissions in most states, and the typer ecu wont either. Usdm is the way to go. Just piece it together.
By asianrob
Apexracing wrote:Zero issues for a k20a2 its a very good motor and a hell of allot cheaper then the k20a which will not pass us emissions in most states, and the typer ecu wont either. Usdm is the way to go. Just piece it together.

x2

when i did my k swap i spent a little over 3K that was including 2 - 6 speed trans, a NEW Z3 short block, and a K20a2 head, Kpro and mounts and etc...

for the amount you pay for a K20a you could possibly buy a wrecked RSX-S and have most of the stuff you need.
By HeikDiesel
asianrob wrote:
Apexracing wrote:Zero issues for a k20a2 its a very good motor and a hell of allot cheaper then the k20a which will not pass us emissions in most states, and the typer ecu wont either. Usdm is the way to go. Just piece it together.

x2

when i did my k swap i spent a little over 3K that was including 2 - 6 speed trans, a NEW Z3 short block, and a K20a2 head, Kpro and mounts and etc...

for the amount you pay for a K20a you could possibly buy a wrecked RSX-S and have most of the stuff you need.

I'd like to see your parts list of doing a k20 swap for 3k
By VTECfreak03
#316604 See i waz thinking of buying a wrecked rsx-x with a good engine, buy some swap stuff and stick it in. Im only 14 and i already have an audi that my dad bought for me for 300, now wen i fix it i will sell it and buy the eg. im posting so that i know what to do and be preped for. thanx guys. i'd love more
answers
:) :thumb:
By asianrob
HeikDiesel wrote:
asianrob wrote:

x2

I'd like to see your parts list of doing a k20 swap for 3k

k20a.org

i traded parts here and there to get there.

bought a disassembled RSX-S trans on ebay for 200
bought a K24A4 for 400 traded it for an H22a that i traded for another 6 speed trans

bought a z3 complete short block (new) for 600 from my friend at honda
blown K20a2 long block for 150, bought for the head
old hybrid motor mounts for 100

shift cable and box for around 150 at that time
karcepts plate (used) for 100 bucks

k pro 900 bucks
K tuned conversion harness iirc i got for 250 just caused the guy got had gotten a different harness at the time.
etc.. you have to dig deep if you want to save money, its possible just have to look for the deals that are going on, i did have to buy some stuff new but i did get a discount because i know someone that worked at acura or oriellys and etc..
By asianrob
VTECfreak03 wrote:See i waz thinking of buying a wrecked rsx-x with a good engine, buy some swap stuff and stick it in. Im only 14 and i already have an audi that my dad bought for me for 300, now wen i fix it i will sell it and buy the eg. im posting so that i know what to do and be preped for. thanx guys. i'd love more
answers
:) :thumb:

i wouldnt sell it, just save your money and find a shell, they dont get too expensive.
By HeikDiesel
#316670 A lot of your prices you posted are unrealistic IMO. But hey if you paid that then kudos. Also you left out a lot of little items like axles, radiator hoses, header/exhaust modifications, etc.
By asianrob
HeikDiesel wrote:A lot of your prices you posted are unrealistic IMO. But hey if you paid that then kudos. Also you left out a lot of little items like axles, radiator hoses, header/exhaust modifications, etc.

unrealistic? I took the time and did research and search for the parts. I dont go off and buy shit for retail. i used ebay craigs list, friends that are in the scene k20a.org, use you the internet its one of the most valuable resources you have for information. ITS going to be cheaper to buy it in pieces instead of complete and running which is fine, but if you are on a budget id consider the first option and learn how to put stuff together.
i've been there and done it.

i modified B series axles and Type S axles for that to work
used modified radiator hoses from Advanced auto cost me like 5 bucks for the hose
used a Tri Y header and ebay Tri Y header and at that time i pick that up for around 350. used. cut off my current exhaust on there

K swaps are getting cheaper now a days. and its going to be cheaper to buy and build a motor they way you want it vs buying from a second hand dealer.

its patience that will save you a bunch of money and people you know.
if i could remember all the stuff i did i would have posted it but that was a few years ago. im back in a coupe with a b20vtec. considering going back to a K series.

So do your research, and more importantly KNOW PEOPLE. especially at your local parts store and the dealer ship. thats how i got that BRAND NEW z3 short block for cheap. and most of all be smart about it. i can go on and on. but what ever.

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=586 ... c&start=45
By Eg6H2D
asianrob wrote:
HeikDiesel wrote:A lot of your prices you posted are unrealistic IMO. But hey if you paid that then kudos. Also you left out a lot of little items like axles, radiator hoses, header/exhaust modifications, etc.

unrealistic? I took the time and did research and search for the parts. I dont go off and buy shit for retail. i used ebay craigs list, friends that are in the scene k20a.org, use you the internet its one of the most valuable resources you have for information. ITS going to be cheaper to buy it in pieces instead of complete and running which is fine, but if you are on a budget id consider the first option and learn how to put stuff together.
i've been there and done it.

i modified B series axles and Type S axles for that to work
used modified radiator hoses from Advanced auto cost me like 5 bucks for the hose
used a Tri Y header and ebay Tri Y header and at that time i pick that up for around 350. used. cut off my current exhaust on there

K swaps are getting cheaper now a days. and its going to be cheaper to buy and build a motor they way you want it vs buying from a second hand dealer.

its patience that will save you a bunch of money and people you know.
if i could remember all the stuff i did i would have posted it but that was a few years ago. im back in a coupe with a b20vtec. considering going back to a K series.

So do your research, and more importantly KNOW PEOPLE. especially at your local parts store and the dealer ship. thats how i got that BRAND NEW z3 short block for cheap. and most of all be smart about it. i can go on and on. but what ever.

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=586 ... c&start=45

:thumb: :thumb: Very Realistic!