Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By jadeydrag0117
#314679 i've been planning my swap lately, and been thinking of ways to have a clean + fresh engine bay.
:)
one idea i thought of was taking out my power steering to make things less cluttered under the hood, what do you guys think? keep it or toss it?
By JohnRM
#314680 Keep it!
By EJ1_MK
#314682 You can always loop the lines, but I would keep it if you got it.
By jadeydrag0117
EJ1_MK wrote:You can always loop the lines, but I would keep it if you got it.

What is looping the lines?? , i just read a DIY thread on hondatec.com about that but i don't understand what it does.
By FG2_Andrew
#314707 keep it man. unless it's a track build, what's the big deal?

comfort > fashion IMO
By jadeydrag0117
EH2_andy wrote:keep it man. unless it's a track build, what's the big deal?

comfort > fashion IMO

Well i was looking at some engine bays that are just CLEAN, clean painted less cluttered wires and stuff everywhere. When i do a swap i want to clean up the bay so it just looks simple.

but im thinkin about it now and i may keep it.
By teal_dx
#314713 I took mine out to save weight and converted the rack to manual the proper way with a breather and it's not really much different while driving. However, turning the wheels into a parking spot or parallel parking keeps your arms in shape :D
Last edited by teal_dx on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By FG2_Andrew
jadeydrag0117 wrote:
EH2_andy wrote:keep it man. unless it's a track build, what's the big deal?

comfort > fashion IMO

Well i was looking at some engine bays that are just CLEAN, clean painted less cluttered wires and stuff everywhere. When i do a swap i want to clean up the bay so it just looks simple.

but im thinkin about it now and i may keep it.

stupid clean bays are [smilie=puke.gif] to me. but whatever you want. but i think you answered your own question: you want a CLEAN, SIMPLE looking bay. ditch the PS.
By Aldo91
#314730 I have no power steering and honestly its just like teal said. I can however tell you that I feel my corners muuuch better :D
By EJ1_MK
jadeydrag0117 wrote:
EJ1_MK wrote:You can always loop the lines, but I would keep it if you got it.

What is looping the lines?? , i just read a DIY thread on hondatec.com about that but i don't understand what it does.

Basically you pull the pump and the lines off and loop the lines on the rack leave a bit of fluid in the rack so the rack acts as a manual rack but is truly a power rack. Driving wise like Teal said you won't notice so much any difference but when stopped it will be hard to turn. But it helps clean the bay up a ton, if that is what you are going for and looping is cheaper than trying to find a manual rack setup.

Draining the power rack and running it with out fluid the rack will last but not nearly as long as with the a bit of fluid and the line looped. There are tones of right ups and ways of going about doing this.
By nd1983
#314746 try this. take the belt off your PS pump. Go a day or 2 with no belt see how it handles. if you are ok with it then:
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=7198

if not just see if you can move the reservoir to someplace on the firewall and relocate the lines to make it less cluttered
By jadeydrag0117
nd1983 wrote:try this. take the belt off your PS pump. Go a day or 2 with no belt see how it handles. if you are ok with it then:
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=7198

if not just see if you can move the reservoir to someplace on the firewall and relocate the lines to make it less cluttered

yeah, embarrassingly to me it was not so much about the handling/performance but the look. to have a simple less cluttered engine bay.

but after all.. i'm going to keep it cause i realized it its good

thanks all 8)
By jadeydrag0117
EH2_andy wrote:

stupid clean bays are [smilie=puke.gif] to me. but whatever you want. but i think you answered your own question: you want a CLEAN, SIMPLE looking bay. ditch the PS.

i prefer a cleaner setup, but i'm thinking about keeping the steering and disregarding the effort for a "clean" engine bay
By SloCivic
#316074 recently, I did a lsvtec swap and went through the whole wire tucking, re-routing making stuff look "clean" ect ect. I "looped" the powersteering lines. so that they were routed out of site, and I also sprayed my ps reservoir and ran the lines to it so that there would be no spillage and it remained out of site. My reservoir is basically mounted right under where the hole is a little ways back from the drivers side headlight if your looking into the engine bay.

Recently my new swap was started I finally had the opportunity to drive the car for the first time without powersteering. Honestly its not bad at all I kinda like it :hehe:

here's a pic of how I did mine if you are still looking for ideas.
I can't find the pic of the actual reservoir mounted

*someone on here had a write-up on how to re-route your ps lines and run a breather. I just used that for reference when running the lines.

I say go for it.

-Ben