Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By EG Love
#314541 My brakes been making a noise once in a while. While I was getting new tires put on I noticed my caliper is coming off my rotor?

I know the lower 12mm bolt usually comes out then you swivel/hinge the caliper up off the brake pads. But the pin where it swivels is gone.. :? I checked a hatch at the junkyard and the pin or whatever doesn't look removeable.. I'm really confused. Did it just break off?

By mage182
#314598 The pin that allows the caliper to float is mounted in the caliper bracket and has a boot on it. The bolt then goes through the caliper and into the slide pin. The pin should be greased so that it can slide as the pads wear. It's hard to tell what is missing from your pic. But the pin kits with new boots should be available from any local autoparts store for a few bucks.
By SCREECHO
#314648 I had something similar happen to me in high school. but that was in my 87 vette. the caliper dropped down and jammed on the wheel. I slid off the road, thankfully I was only going 5 mph.
Anyways, since I have always put thread lock on all brake bolts. may take a little extra umpfff to get off but least I know they wont come off, even if properly torqued.
By EG Love
#314650 I don't understand how it would come loose, I don't see a bolt there on the other side, just a rubber cover I think. Is there a bolt under this? That's scary, I've been driving a lot with it like this, I can pry it off and onto the rotor from through the rim. I thought the pin was part of the rotor bracket, didn't know it was removeable.. might be taking it to a garage tomorrow morning
By SCREECHO
#314652 yes there is a bolt there.
That is the caliper bracket it bolts to.
its a 12mm head, so I think the 10x1.25 bolt fits. not positive, I would search.