Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By tperkins
#314314 So recently i have been having a bad shimmy that pulls right when the clutch is in. now this only happends when the car is warmed up and i have been driving on the highway for about 10 minutes or so. it doesnt do it when i brake and is not speed or rpm sensitive. the alignment is fine and the tires are perfect. i need help troubleshooting i cant seem to find any clear solution.
By teal_dx
#314329 It sounds like something in your drivetrain. If it is doing it when you push the clutch pedal in, that means it is happening when your engine crankshaft is not connecting with your transmission shaft via the clutch. What kind of work has been done to the motor recently? New clutch? If so was it and the flywheel properly torqued?
By tperkins
#314330 The hatch just has a d15b8 I want to swap an ls motor in it soon. It's my daily driver so I put about 100 miles on it a day. The motor was rebuilt about 3 years ago when I swapped a 16 valve head on it. I have had no problem with it untill about a week ago.
By tperkins
#314331 Oh no new clutch and everything was torqued properly. Unless something came loose.
By teal_dx
#314340 Ok let me get some more details.... so it happens when the clutch pedal is pressed in, only when the car is driving? What about parked at idle after driving?
When you let off the clutch pedal, it goes away completely? Does it make any difference if the transmission is in or out of gear?

It's a constant vibration, the same amount all the time? Does it feel about the tame as a wheel out of balance (I know it's not that, just for comparison) or worse?

Hopefully we can at least narrow it down for you before you go taking things apart to look for the problem.
By tperkins
#314341 yes it only happens when i am driving after the car has fully warmed up. it doesnt do it when i first drive the car. when the car is parked and cools down it goes away for a bit then as soon as the car is fully warmed up its back again. when im down shifting or accelerating it doesnt shimmy at all but as soon as i push the clutch in it shimmies and pulls right bad, like a mix between bad tire balance and loose lugs. also it doesnt matter what gear or how fast im going as soon as the clutch is in it shakes and pulls untill i stop. hope this helps and thank you for your time, help and patients with me.
By tperkins
#314343 it pulls bad like if the passanger is grabbing the wheel, i just have the d15b8 block with b7 head.
By Punksz6
#314351 I wouldn't really drive the car on the road if it pulls bad. You could get into a accident or damage the car worse. It sucks when your trying to pin point the problem. Are you sure the alignment is good? I would check under the car and see if there are any worn or broken parts. I know you say it has to do with the clutch but, I'm not really sure. I've never had that problem but I've had some suspension and alignment problems before. My car use to pull hard to the right but it was do to the tie rods being loose and adjusted wrong. I hope we can figure out what's wrong with your ride.
By tperkins
#314353 thank you for your help. ill keep eveyone posted on what i find.
By teal_dx
#314354 First thing that comes to mind when pulling to right is brakes. When you have a seized or sticking caliper (say on the right side) it will drag, creating heat, decreasing tolerances even more = more dragging and more pulling as they get hotter.

When you're giving the car gas and motor is driving both wheels it isn't as noticeable. But then you let off gas and push in clutch, disengaging the axles/wheels from motor, so now they're just coasting on their own. Well the left is going to coast just fine but the right side with the dragging/sticking caliper is instantly going to slow down due to extra resistance which will pull to the right since it's as if only the right brake is being applied, especially at higher speeds.

I'd take a look at your right front brakes :thumb:
By tperkins
#314563 so quick update it was my right front brake that was sticking when it was hot. i took the wheel off to see if i could find the problem, and noticed that the caliper was loose. so i took it off cleaned it put i back together and now no shimmy. thank you guys for your help. :thumb: