Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Buddhabusmc
#312095 I have a 92 vx 5 speed hatch. I just picked it up and is bone stock. At the slightest sign of an incline, she has trouble holding speed. Ive had a few civics but none of them have ever bogged down like this. I changed plugs and wires but not sure where to look next. Sorry for the noob question but hopefully someone here can give me some insight.
By poorman type-r
#312137 It could be the 92 hp motor. lol. which means you have ~78 whp.

That's my opinion on what your problem can be.
By Buddhabusmc
#312142 No check engine light, no oil burning, 187XXX

I realize that its no race car, but I figured it would at least hold its own on the highway. I must say, I am loving the 30 mpg its getting instead of driving my truck that gets 14.
By TrailerTrash
#312151 its the tranny. trust me. i had a VX tranny and it was hell going anywhere uphill.

swap in a better tranny. i did a DX first then an EX and will neeeeever get another EG and leave the VX in it. :thumbdown:
By suspendedHatch
#312535 The CX and VX have LOOOOOOONNG gearing. That's why you downshift :lol:
By JohnAWESOME
#312540 Hey I have a 94 VX and yea it is no race car but I love mine. I have never gotten less than 44mpg with a max of 52.3mpg. I have a few hills to climb and if I am over 2000 rpm in 5th then I have no problem holding speed or accelerating but below that its a loosing battle.

My only advise is over 2000 rpms in 5th or going into 4th to hold your speed.
By kapow
#312594 Can someone clear this up for me.

What engine/gearbox's are in cx, dx, vx etc? Over here we have, GL GLi, VEi. VTI, SI
By teal_dx
kapow wrote:Can someone clear this up for me.

What engine/gearbox's are in cx, dx, vx etc? Over here we have, GL GLi, VEi. VTI, SI

CX and VX have the longest gears. DX, LX (d15b7) have long gears but not as long as CX/VX.
EX and Si (d16z6) have the short gears. :thumb:
By kapow
#312616 Thanks Teal. Now, do you know the Japanese models? Haha jk
By IMI4tth3w
#312834 check your ignition timing. mine was off and was lacking serious power and mpgs. got it set correctly and its 44+mpgs and much better acceleration.
By Buddhabusmc
#313282 I so checked my timing and found that it was off 6-8 degrees. I also checked out my fuel filter. Replaced that. When I took it off and tipped it upside down, some blackish colored gas oozed out. Im guessing that had something to do with it too. Still waiting on my starter to get rebuilt but once I do, I'll post an update on how much better she runs. Thanks for everyones advice.
By suspendedHatch
#313471 Be careful because the base ignition timing for the VX is unique and often reported to be 16 when it is in fact 12. The only spec you can rely on is the label on the underside of your hood once you've verified the VIN to make sure it's the original label.