Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By white_eg_x
#309398 hello all, recently ive been have an annoying squealing like sound thats preety loud that everybody stares. its a 1995 honda civic dx hatch, my friend toldme it could be power steering but i dont know and i would really like to fix this squeal or what is it? sorry i am not a car guy :(
By chrono404
#309399 Does it happen when the car is moving only? or when the car is stoped but turning the steering wheel. Is the car super low? lowered at all?

The Power Steering pump if low on fluid can make noises when turning the wheel. Also loosen the side bolts that hold it in place and use the key on top to tighten the power steering belt. If it squeals loud enough for people to hear it outside the car. Its most likely the belt.

Good luck. :thumb:
By white_eg_x
#309402 not lowered at all, preety much stock on oem suspension
well it does make noise when im backing out and just turning the steering wheel like a screech but when i'm at a stop and i turn right or left its a squeeeeeeeeel i even startled a kid and he jumped :( lol what fluid would be needed for the power steering?
By suspendedHatch
#309405 Tighten the power steering belt and check if it's frayed and cracked.
By bradleyg
white_eg_x wrote:not lowered at all, preety much stock on oem suspension
well it does make noise when im backing out and just turning the steering wheel like a screech but when i'm at a stop and i turn right or left its a squeeeeeeeeel i even startled a kid and he jumped :( lol what fluid would be needed for the power steering?

You put power steering fluid in the power steering reservoir. Its towards the front on the right side of your engine bay.
By endlessEG
#309489 You can check to see if the p/s belt is slipping, with the car running have someone turn the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right while you look at the p/s belt to see if it spins freely and doesnt slip
By JDMLYFE
#309880 mine did the exact same thing, although i dont have power steering , i got new lower and never heard the noise since then
By DontHateonEG8
white_eg_x wrote:hello all, recently ive been have an annoying squealing like sound thats preety loud that everybody stares. its a 1995 honda civic dx hatch, my friend toldme it could be power steering but i dont know and i would really like to fix this squeal or what is it? sorry i am not a car guy :(

white_eg_x wrote:not lowered at all, preety much stock on oem suspension

its either power steering belt or low fluid as mentioned before by others. if you don't feel comfortable diagnosing it yourself i would suggest taking it to a mechanic or even talking to auto zone guys, some can be very helpful and point out how to do a job.
By EG Love
#309960 i think he may be experiencing something different than everyone thinks. I've seen hondas that squeal very loudly when you turn the wheel, not the ps belt slipping or the pump whinning. My cousin had it happen to his integra, it was a very loud and embarassing squeal. Somebody suggested top mounts on the suspension, but his went away after changing his lower ball joints. apparently the lower ball joints go bad and get squeaky.

try turning off the car and then turning the wheel. does it squeal still?

this is the type of sqeaking i'm thinking hes talking about, but can't be sure of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKrd5KBTcH8
By JDMLYFE
#311802 its your lower ball joints, mine did the exact same thing, chaned my lower ball joints and havent heard any squeaking since, id get it checked out asap, if your lower ball joints get really bad they can pop out and your axel will most likley break aswell( i think) lol