Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By b18hatched
#307857 Ok everyone, like I stated in my intro a while back this is my first honda.. Jumping over from the turbo 4g63and Mitsubishi cars to the Honda is a little bit trickier than I thought.. I've tried looking up my problem in the search bar and all over google and no luck.. If you guys can help id be greatly appreciative.

I have a 94 DX hatchback (Canadian if that matters at all)
2000 b18 GSR motor and transmission swap
New battery and grounds are good
Car recently stopped turning over athe couple weeks ago and Ignition turns to accessories and to start but wont turn over the motor at all or make any kind of sound or clicking.. there is power going ti the starter because I have tested it for power.. it bump starts fine and when you turn the key to the "turn on" position the starter does make that horrible engaging noise.. so im stumped fellas, is this a bad ignition switch? Or what do you guys think.. sorry for the newbie question.. all is appreciated

-Rob
By 92civic_vx
#307858 sounds like maybe the ignition switch went out. or the clutch switch.
By b18hatched
#307862 Thanks man, im going to go check that out
By b18hatched
#307869 Cant seem to find my test light, but i also bought a good conditioned used OEM starter and still have the same problem..
By 92civic_vx
#307871 you can jump the wires on the clutch switch and see if it starts, if it does just replace the switch, i would not permantly bypass it for safty reasons. but it may help to see if you need an ignition switch or if it is the clutch switch.
By b18hatched
#307873 Do you have a proper write up on this? Yea im just trying to scratch off what it could and couldnt be.. That way im not spending an a$$ load of money on things that arent needed at the moment.. Its not my Daily so im not trying to half ass and rush to get it finished in one day.. I really appriciate the help guys

-Rob
By b18hatched
#307874 And teal_dx my friend i just opened a 12er of PBR haha
By Rotary_EG4dr
#307885 if it makes a sound when the key is turned it sounds like both switches are working.

what kind of sound is it? is it a grinding sound? it could be too far away from the teeth of the flywheel and is just stripping away. are there spacers that were used when installing the starter? (old chevy's had spacers)
By 92civic_vx
#307886 there should be 2 wires on the switch, it is at the top of the clutch pedal. jump the 2 wires with a piece of wire, make sure its not in gear and try to start it.
By b18hatched
Rotary_EG4dr wrote:if it makes a sound when the key is turned it sounds like both switches are working.

what kind of sound is it? is it a grinding sound? it could be too far away from the teeth of the flywheel and is just stripping away. are there spacers that were used when installing the starter? (old chevy's had spacers)

It is like a grinding sound. Its the sound that every car makes when you already have the car on, forget, and try to turn on while its still running
By b18hatched
92civic_vx wrote:there should be 2 wires on the switch, it is at the top of the clutch pedal. jump the 2 wires with a piece of wire, make sure its not in gear and try to start it.

So just take a small piece of wire and touch both wires from the switch correct?
By 92civic_vx
#307890 ya, if it starts replace the switch
By b18hatched
#307891 cool thanks man for your help. Ill try it right now and get back to you
By b18hatched
#307892 Well there are no wires going to or from the clutch pedal and there is a couple bolt holes one on top of the other that look like they need things that belong there.. Anyway to find a clutch pedal diagram?