Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Wicked
#305659 So I'm looking to upgrade various firewall components on my car and wondering what would be the best/necessary upgrade for each (Ex. Break Booster, Master cylinder, Fuel Pump/Filter ect...), with the intentions of going K series down the road.
By teal_dx
#305660 Is your motor stock now? There's not really any need to upgrade the booster, master cyl unless yours is going bad. No need to worry about the fuel pump until you are ready to swap. Same goes for the fuel filter... just make sure you change it at recommended miles. I'd leave as-is and keep saving for the K-swap :thumb:
By Wicked
#305662 Well my clutch seems to randomly drain out completely (most noticeable after rains). That is probably the only failure. I'm not to sure exactly where the issue is coming from but I have yet to find a leak so I was thinking its the master taking a shit on me. Other then that the only thing I can think of is the fuel sender is going bad, So I figured I'd upgrade the fuel pump while I'm back there. Car is completely stock still.
By teal_dx
#305682 For the clutch fluid leak... look where the clutch pedal meets the master cyl on the inside of the firewall. A bad master cyl can leak on the inside and you wouldn't even know it because you don't see it.
The only other leak would be the slave cyl (fluid behind the rubber boot) or a rusted line.

For the fuel sender, I'd hold off until you're ready to do the fuel pump unless you really want to take it apart twice. (The fuel pump & sending unit are actually two separate parts, but located right by each other.)
By Wicked
#305688 actually i used to have a really bad leak that came from under the pedals area when it rained and one day it just stopped. There is a stain on the carpet but I figured it was just from the water leak but It could very well be from the Master Cyl.
By fatcoupe
#305692 if it was brake fluid i believe it would die the paint seeing as brake fluid will strip the clean and paint from the firewall...and when i was at lincoln tech there was a strange incident like this and it turned out that the car was previously wrecked and the firewall wasnt "straight" causing a leak from the master... but iv never delt with this so good luck :thumb: hope the info helps though