Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By rak511
#298129 Alright. So heres the situation. My hatch release lever broke from the cable i guess being to tight? So now the only way to open it is by grabbing the cable with vice grips and pulling. Today i found where the cable was running and it had a lot of slack. Idk how its supposed to be but any info on how to make it easier to open would be appreciated. Also the cable is really tight but there is a lot of slack. Hard to describe.
By Classiccarsrule85
#298136 are you talking glass id say use your key? that would be the easiest in my opinion
By rak511
#298145 ya... like wen u pull the lever inside the hatch glass is supposed to pop... mine i have to pull real hard with the vise grips and it still dosent open some times... and the key dosent work in the back... idk if its a seperate key or wat
By teal_dx
the cable is really tight but there is a lot of slack

Not sure what this means... Maybe the latch itself is sticking a little? Try a little WD40 or similar on the latch in the tail gate that holds the glass shut.
By rak511
#298148 Ya, that sounds like it could be the problem... ill check it out 2moro... cuz i just got the lower hatch open today for the first time... the guy i bought the car off of told me not to open it cuz its carbon fiber and itll crack... but i dont c wat its hurting as long as im not like hard core slamming the thing
By teal_dx
#298201 I had a CF hatch and it's tough to get all the internal latches to line up perfectly. That might be the problem. Also I would shut the hatch by pushing gently with one hand on each side and never had a problem. :thumb:
By rak511
#298232 Ya. I dont plan on slamming it. And i havnt gotten a chance to put wd40 on that release yet. Ill let ya know wen i do it and wat happens
By rak511
#298261 Alright... today i got the hatch open and sprayed wd40 all over the release mechanism thing... it might have made it a little easier but i cant rlly notice because the release lever is broke... but wen it is open it i cant close it without pushing the release trigger thing back... maybe the cable itself?
By EG Love
#298683 i don't know exactly what you mean. the lever you pull on the floor near the driver side door is broken? so you're just pulling/pushing on the cable? maybe fixing the lever will fix it.. you could also trace the cable back to the hatch and have someone pull the other end, etc, to see what its doing
By rak511
#299701 Ya, the lever on the floor is busted... The cable broke the lever... it bent the things that hold the end of the cable into it. so i either have to get a new 1 or somehow bend the bracket things back... But b4 it broke it was so hard to open still... like the gas release is easy it pops after pulling up like half way with ease... B4 the hatch release broke it was always real hard to pull up, required some strength, and some1 wuld have to push down on the hatch half the time just to get it to pop
By rak511
#300220 Alrite... today i picked up new releases for hatch, the mechanisms that unlatch it wen u pull the lever but both the window part and lower part. so next is picking up a new cable itself and the release lever... hopefully that works
By ceciliaB
#301014 Sounds like it can make a problem.
By suspendedHatch
#301180 The black sheathing around the cable has to be braced at both ends (but not in the middle). If that outer sheath is loose, when you pull the cable, it will flex and the cable inside doesn't move. It's the same with the climate control and with the hood release.