Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By edge2121
#297049 I have a 93 civic Ex coupe, and I'm buying a hatch shell this weekend to do a swap. I was wondering about how long it would take me to swap all my stuff over. Its basically going to be me and my brother doing it, and we both know our way around cars pretty well, but we've never done this before

I pretty much will have from a Friday night when I get off of work, until Monday afternoon when I have to go back. We have the tools for it, but no hoist. Is this going to be possible? Or am I in over my head? Thanks.
By TrailerTrash
#297050 what all are you swapping over? is it like a bare shell?
By edge2121
#297055 Everything is gone except for the interior. There is nothing at all left under the hood.
By teal_dx
#297081 I think that's enough time with 2 people. Just leave some time at the end for test driving the car and buttoning up any issues you may run into.

Are both cars manual?
By edge2121
#297121 Yep. Both manual. I figure the only real problems ill have is breaking bolts since everything is so rusty, but other than that I hope it goes smooth.
By stubrun
#297125 Give them a good soak with wd-40 first, god I wish I had something like that to do.
By HungRealLow21
stubrun wrote:Give them a good soak with wd-40 first, god I wish I had something like that to do.

i wish i had the time to do such thing back 3 years ago summer time i swapped my ej1 bout 5 times in one summer lol that kept me busy and learning lol
By stubrun
HungRealLow21 wrote:
stubrun wrote:Give them a good soak with wd-40 first, god I wish I had something like that to do.

i wish i had the time to do such thing back 3 years ago summer time i swapped my ej1 bout 5 times in one summer lol that kept me busy and learning lol

I bet you know that car inside out lol
By edge2121
#297150 I'm pretty excited to do this. I've had the car for about 4 months now, and it still looks like I just pulled it out of a junk yard. At first I was just going to leave it how it was and turbo it, kinda so it looks like a sleeper, but as it rained and snowed, the previous owners spray paint job wore off and now I'm left with more rust than car lol. The shell I'm getting has has most of the rust repaired, and looks really good. Plus it has a clean title, can't beat that!
By 92civic_vx
#297152 i did this with my sedan when i got my hatch shell. i swapped motor, trans, shift linkage, complete ac system, radiator, engine harness, all 4 struts, axles, wheels, control arms and exhaust system. it took a week total (had to wait for majestic to ship a new motor mount support bracket to me) the shipping and welding time not included it took me 3 days after work to swap everything out in my driveway by myself. like mentioned before make sure u leave time for test drives and to check for any leaks or wiring mishaps :thumb: good luck
By stubrun
#297227 Take pictures :)
By jrhdominos
#297290 Just stay organized, Ive done swaps with people that were organizzed and it was cake...start losing bolts/parts/etc and it can be a real headache..
By rockyaj
#297421 sounds fun :thumb:
By edge2121
#297680 Getting the shell tomorrow! Can't wait! I will for sure be taking pictures, and I hope I can stay organized lol. I lost the workspace I was planning to use, so now I'm going to do it at my apartment in my tiny 1 car garage and parking lot lol. Also got a hold of a hoist to pull the motor so that's a huge plus! I plan on doing whatever body/interior work first, then painting, then swapping. I should have it completely finished in like 2-3 weeks assuming I don't run out of money lol. Ill post pics while I'm working
By edge2121
#297839 *UPDATE* didn't get the shell lol. Didn't have a ride Saturday, went today, drove 2 hours to get to it, then went to rent a tow dolly and uhaul wouldn't let me because I was in an explorer.....but I already have a plan for next weekend to pick it up. Waiting is the worst part!!