Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By DJA
#296713 I'm sure this question has been asked a billion times. I bought a totalled 99 LS integra and i am gonna swap the motor in my 93 hatch however i have never done this. i know what i need to do the basic swap what i dont know is what all i need to have so i can have it Barr'd / Reff'd to make it california street legal. How do i add the OBD2 test port and what not. I do not know electrical very good so i just have absolutly no idea what to keep or what to swap when dealing with harnesses and what not. Please help me out with any info you can. Thanks.
By teal_dx
#296716 I don't know cali law but converting the entire car to OBD2 to have the test port on an OBD1 car is going to be a major project if you have little or no experience in automotive wiring.
By DJA
#296720 Well whenever they do a smog on an OBD2 motor they always plug a code reader into the test port to make sure there are no codes coming up.
By DuckIt
#296724 Convert the motor to obd1 and run an obd1 ls ecu.

Should be able to use most of the sensors off your obd1 d series.
By DJA
#296726 i thought about that i'm just not sure if the smog ref will pass it or not, guess ill have to do more research on california laws.
Thanks for the help, i appriciate it.
By Wicked
#296729 You wont pass because the motor's serial numbers register the motor as a OBD2 engine and your vehicle is OBD1. Only way around it is to do a conversion to OBD2 and get it reffed.
By DJA
Wicked wrote:You wont pass because the motor's serial numbers register the motor as a OBD2 engine and your vehicle is OBD1. Only way around it is to do a conversion to OBD2 and get it reffed.

Well i have the entire spare car that i can pull parts from. What all do you think i need to convert the it over to OBD2? Is it really that hard to do?
By DJA
#296752 I really want it to be a fully legal california swap.