Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By gijoe985
#294629 Is there a difference between an EG coupe glove box and the hatch? I was at the wrecking yard and found two different ones. Both were from EGs, but one was much heavier and it had different hinging than the other. I need one for my VX eventually and wanted to make sure I found the right one.
By Ajax1989
#294635 they should be the same through out all 3 coupe/hatch/sedan
By Punksz6
#294659 Actually there are.differences. I had a coupe glovebox that I was selling and a guy with a hatch needed it but it didn't fit...not sure what type of hatch he had though..and I thought the sedans had a different size aswell but not really sure with the sedan...hope.someone else can chime in..
By Wicked
#294680 The difference is 1 glove box is made of plastic (92-93 are all made of plastic). This was before they started putting in the passenger air bags (94-95 is when they started adding passenger air bags). All civics 94-95 have a metal glove box, My guess is because its meant to be able to withstand any force from the air bag going off. OR maybe the airbags where optional and it isn't year related the above is just an assumption from my experiences and observations. Either way THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. A plastic glove box will not fit in a civic with a passenger airbag and vice versa.
By Wicked
#294701 doesn't fit in my car I've tried. Its been a while, but if i remember correctly its not the screws but the stops that keep it from falling out when its hanging that's the problem.
By Ajax1989
#294702 Wow I never knew any of this info about the glove boxes
By Apexracing
#294703 this should be made a sticky in the interior section for sure.
By Wicked
#294708 I suppose then I should also note that the plastic glove boxes are hard to find in good condition, The metal ones are a dime a dozen. Took me about 3 years to find a plastic one that wasn't broken in some way.
By Classiccarsrule85
#294729 92-93 had the plastic hinges
94-95 had the metal hinges ---and also had a sort of spring shock that in my mind helps some

even though the 92-93 had a larger bin the biggest weakness are the hinges and really i was able to have everything i wanted in the smaller 94-95 glove box and thats what i always swapped my eg's too....

the smaller compartment is of coarse because of the srs air bag

to swap back and forth (this is very easy to do) you can swap either glove boxes back and forth but you will need that metal bar behind the glovebox that you bolt the glove box to 3 8mm and one 10mm pop it out and pop in the other corresponding bracket and voila you have the glove box that you wish and it will bolt in and work properly as well. best and easiest way to do it