Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By stupidhurts
#275990 The doors in my 94 CX have a crash beam in each door. Does anybody know if the 92-93 CX/VX are missing this beam?
By Eg6H2D
teal_dx wrote:I thought all the US cars had the inner crash beam.

They do. as a part of that safety thing in the US . it was mandatory..
By stupidhurts
#276140 Ahh that sucks. I was hoping the earlier models didn't have it to shave off some more weight.
By Datsmart
#276377 I would re-think not having a crash beam in your door.
Take a look at Chrono's Hatch that was hit by a 4 Runner in the door.
Without the crash beam, the bumper that cut through the door would have been in his hip, not channeled into the back seat.
http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=937 ... c&start=90
By Classiccarsrule85
Datsmart wrote:I would re-think not having a crash beam in your door.
Without the crash beam, the bumper that cut through the door would have been in his hip, not channeled into the back seat.

what he said i mean is it really that heavy if anything id get rid of the srs system i know for my crx the 88-89 civic crx did not have this beam from what i remember but im keeping that 90-91 door on adn just doing something different with the belts since id rather be safe i mean unless you plan on towing that car everywhere i wouldnt go without that beam reduce weight in other areas
By chrono404
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:
Datsmart wrote:I would re-think not having a crash beam in your door.

what he said i mean is it really that heavy if anything id get rid of the srs system i know for my crx the 88-89 civic crx did not have this beam from what i remember but im keeping that 90-91 door on adn just doing something different with the belts since id rather be safe i mean unless you plan on towing that car everywhere i wouldnt go without that beam reduce weight in other areas

x3

That beam is why I am alive and able to type this today.

I love having a fast light car, however Its not smart removing safety equipment just for a light car. You never know when something will happen and it doesn't have to be your fault to mess up your day.
By stupidhurts
#276555 It's a purpose built and trailered SMF autocross car. I'm not too concerned about how safe it it. I just want to get as light as possible within the rule set.
By Classiccarsrule85
#276588 well if thats the case there are a few ways to do this since i also looked into this lol....

very expensive way get the jdm doors which have no door beam

least expensive and if you are handy with tools and sorts
just remover the door skin remove the beam reinstall door skin its mainly body goup and spot welds..... another thing to lower the weight is to just remove the front and rear bumper beams as unlike the efs they dont hold the bumper....
By stupidhurts
#276616 The SCCA SMF ruleset doesn't allow cutting up the doors or removing the bumper supports. I don't know if the JDM doors would be legal under the update/backdate provision but it's something I will look into.
By Apexracing
#280738 could always run carbon fiber parts, remove sound deadening and get plexi windows :thumb:
By Blazed_Eg
#284171 +1 for leaving Honda saftey equipment alone. I'd rather be slower than dead! :thumb:

If your worried about the 6 lb or so crash beams start running and lose 10 lbs lol