Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By M Riley
#264311 :? Last week after some overheating issues I changed the valve cover gasket, the o ring gromits, along with a new thermostat. It was heating up at the time and I knew that my thermostat took a dump on me. I also found oil on the top end of one of the sparkplug wires. When I opened the valve cover, sure enough one o ring gasket was done. I installed my new parts and everything is all gravy no issues. FWD a week later my CX is overheating again but this time not so much (there's also a heatwave BTW). I noticed it overheat 3 times, then it would go back down to normal temps. I checked my fluid levels, leaks, hoses and everything looks good. I checked the sparkpug wires and this time I found oil on the tip of the wire not the top as last time. Did I miss something? Or is it time for a head gasket change. Note I've installed a new water pump, new timing belt, new thermo, new U shaped hose, the radiator is fairly new, the fan works, a new thermo temp switch, I blead the radiator fluid, and have no fluid leaks. Is there other o ring gaskets that go on the bottom of the sparkplug housing?
By RWMIII
M Riley wrote::? Last week after some overheating issues I changed the valve cover gasket, the o ring gromits, along with a new thermostat. It was heating up at the time and I knew that my thermostat took a dump on me. I also found oil on the top end of one of the sparkplug wires. When I opened the valve cover, sure enough one o ring gasket was done. I installed my new parts and everything is all gravy no issues. FWD a week later my CX is overheating again but this time not so much (there's also a heatwave BTW). I noticed it overheat 3 times, then it would go back down to normal temps. I checked my fluid levels, leaks, hoses and everything looks good. I checked the sparkpug wires and this time I found oil on the tip of the wire not the top as last time. Did I miss something? Or is it time for a head gasket change. Note I've installed a new water pump, new timing belt, new thermo, new U shaped hose, the radiator is fairly new, the fan works, a new thermo temp switch, I blead the radiator fluid, and have no fluid leaks. Is there other o ring gaskets that go on the bottom of the sparkplug housing?

there is only the one grommet per cylinder so you are good there. The exvessive overheating would def cause those to warp and start to leak. Did you clean up the leaked oil from out of the spark plug cavities when you changed the valve cover gasket? If not it may just be residual left over oil. As for your cooling issue: how does your coolant look? when you replaced all of those parts did you do any type of flush to try to evacuate any trash or blockages in the system? If so then it is pointing towards headgasket time.
By M Riley
#264343 Oh yes I did a full flush and my coolant looked normal, but this was the second flush that was done because a water pump was installed three weeks ago.
By M Riley
#264344 I also noticed that my coolant reservoir tank does not have a hose that's attached to the inside of the cap that goes inside the tank. Can that cause air bubbles? Since it's purpose is to hold and dispense left over coolant?
By bks84
#264345 When it overheats does revving the engine up (in nuetral) cause it to cool down?

A leak down test will help determine if the headgasket is going bad. Also, you can try pressurizing the coolant system to see if there are leaks present.

There should be a short hose that runs from the resevoir cap down to the bottom (or near the bottom) of the resevoir. so, I would source something to replace the missing hose.

Do you smell coolant?

And I assume your radiator is full, correct?
By M Riley
#264358 I don't smell coolant. When it's in neutral it hasn't overheated so far. It did a few times during stop and go traffic. I'd say within 5 miles from my house and about 15-20 min driving time. My reservoir is full to the max and my radiator is not topped off from what I see.
By bks84
#264435 Ok, next time when it overheats try revving the engine to see if it cools down. If it does, it may be a airflow problem.

Are you running stock radiator w/stock fans/shrouds?
By M Riley
#264449 When I was driving the temp went up but not all the way to H. After driving a bit it did go down to a normal temp level. One thing for certain the temp did not go up while I was in neutural or when I was at a stop.
By 94EJ2
#264453 valve cover gasket leak can be caused by many things but first did you put some oil on the contact edges before you put it in it helps the seal just like your supposed to put oil on a oil filter gasket before you put it on
By eg-guy
M Riley wrote:When I was driving the temp went up but not all the way to H. After driving a bit it did go down to a normal temp level. One thing for certain the temp did not go up while I was in neutural or when I was at a stop.

try draining the air bubbles out of the system, check ur t-stat.