Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By civic eg-k
#263631 does any one know if its worth turbocharging my d15b7?

i wouldnt mind slaping a b series in there but i have heard that b series motors dont make much hp with bolts on such as, cai,headers. which r just basic things to do to cars. also d series dont make much hp on the basics either.

thats y i was thinking of going turbo since its easier to make hp and have the money well spent knowing you will lleave most people in the dust.

let me know of some ideas you guys mite have.

reason i ask is cuz i got smashed on by an eg that for sure had vtec cuz you could smell it and i was 2 cars behind him. i want to stay ahead of people not behind them getting smoked.
By gtstripes
#263638 there is a thread about doing a head swap from a Y7 or something like that on here somewhere
By Classiccarsrule85
#263640 a good tuned turbo setup will do wonders for the d series im on my 3rd or 4th attempt lol i keep getting to a point changing my mind and selling things off. anyhow a d15b7 is alright but dont expect it to last long on a bad tune and oem internals if you hit boost everyday as much as mcdonalds serves.....on 10psi some say 12-13psi but i like to be conservative would be your best bet...

however like i said you need a good tune in order to do it right

Tho if you are going to be going all out may i suggest buying a d16 block as finding aftermarket rods which are the weakest point in the d series and building something that can withstand boost and also if you find a good head and do some work to it you could get a z6 or y8 and get vtec as well....

the b series however has more hp stock from your d series you should do a bit of research and also id suggest checking out our diy section as the writeups are informative.....

in my veiw a junkyard turbo setup is a fast way to make power on a budget but dont think it will last as long as a out of the box full b18c swap unless that b is beat to hell it would outlast a turbo d but then again like i said its all in the tune but be weary theres alot of good info out there and alot of bad info a good site would be
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/

very informative and as always if you have any question ask and im sure we at civic-eg can help in any way possible
By civic eg-k
#263641 yea ive seen it but im not really good in the electrical department. (conenect vtec) to ecu i just like the N/A format. less hassle. but that is a good idea i have to talk to the tuner that mite do my turbo setup. i just want somthing realistic like 170 hp.
By chrono404
#263657 a buddy of mine had a Turbo d15b7. It was a greedy turbo kit and had an awesome tune however then d15b7 was old and starting to smoke. It was very very slow. my N/A B20b/b16 tranny delsol pulled from him like it was nothing.

However If your d15b7 is somewhat fresh still then it would be better off. If its old and tired also(as most are now) Pick up a JDM d15b its very similar to a d16z6 however has a better torque curve. That will be a fresh engine with alot less miles on it and be able to make decent power.

Remember the Big key is in your tune. Another key link is your rods. The rods are the weak link in Honda D Series engines. If you plan on going over 200hp you want forged rods becouse after 200hp you are no long reliable. swap out the rods for forged versions and your block will be stronger, add in forged low comp pistons and your good for 600hp.

Turbo D16 is a good resource into turboing your single. I planned on doing this for a long time however it was one of the projects that never got picked up.
By Flatland_EG
#263687 I've thought about a junkyard setup myself, kind of like an intro project having never done a turbo before.
What's your opinion on 5-10 psi going into a D15B7 with around 160k on the motor.
I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a little more get up an go for now.