Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By B-rad16
#246563 So I recently picked up a 94 eg hatch and its in desperate need of a swap I have been doing alot of research and have narrowed it down between a d16z6 or b16. Looking into it seems like the b16 would be more expensive and a harder swap but maybe worth the money and the work. Just wondering if any of you have done ether one of these swaps and what would be better in the end. Thanks for the help.
By cjw_89
suspendedHatch wrote:B18B.

^ This guy. Way cheaper then a dohc vtec and very reliable and strong. Its what i have :)
By asianrob
#246611 B16.
By 94EJ2
#246614 a z6 will keep up with a stock ls but b16 is much more power full but requires more to boost if you wanted to due to higher compression
By JUICE
94EJ2 wrote:a z6 will keep up with a stock ls but b16 is much more power full but requires more to boost if you wanted to due to higher compression

o rly?

my stock LS rolled EVERY stock Z6 and B16 i ever raced.. with no problem 8)
By cjw_89
#246688 b16 is easy for you to say "asianrob" they are non existant here. Which involves a jdm site or ebay. Theyre stupidsly expensive. I mean shipping kills you !!! :thumbdown: Obviously a b series vtec is better then a non-vtec. But i do agree those z6 do have some jam in them.
By ogxandrew
#246698 legit D series build would be dope!

save the D! :thumb:
By asianrob
cjw_89 wrote:b16 is easy for you to say "asianrob" they are non existant here. Which involves a jdm site or ebay. Theyre stupidsly expensive. I mean shipping kills you !!! :thumbdown: Obviously a b series vtec is better then a non-vtec. But i do agree those z6 do have some jam in them.

before you say that. im in Oklahoma. where the LS are every where and the B16 is still hard to come by. even in this town of mine. i'll maybe find some short blocks here and there maybe a B16 head here and there.

and the closest place that has engines is Texas. but dont you guys have Tiger Japanese over there? surly with in those regions i know there some B16's there.

getting it shipped to a place that has a loading dock will always be cheaper.
By 94EJ2
JUICE wrote:
94EJ2 wrote:a z6 will keep up with a stock ls but b16 is much more power full but requires more to boost if you wanted to due to higher compression

o rly?

yes my friends z6 with a cold air intake and high flow exhaust keeps up with my friends ls crx remember no motor is the same you can dyno 2 identical integras with stock everything and they will have different numbers so im not saying your lying im just sayin normally a z6 can keep up with a stock ls
By cjw_89
asianrob wrote:
cjw_89 wrote:b16 is easy for you to say "asianrob" they are non existant here. Which involves a jdm site or ebay. Theyre stupidsly expensive. I mean shipping kills you !!! :thumbdown: Obviously a b series vtec is better then a non-vtec. But i do agree those z6 do have some jam in them.

before you say that. im in Oklahoma. where the LS are every where and the B16 is still hard to come by. even in this town of mine. i'll maybe find some short blocks here and there maybe a B16 head here and there.

and the closest place that has engines is Texas. but dont you guys have Tiger Japanese over there? surly with in those regions i know there some B16's there.

. Wow that sucks. I assumed that by you living in the states they were like flies down there. Sorry!! But... If you were to see one come up an hour of so from where you live what do they usually go for. You see a scatter ls swap here go for roughly 500(usually a rotted full car) but vtec bs are snatched up and sold asap. Th
ere is a 93 cx here for sale now though,sir swap he want 3400 for it. Usually what you pay for an engine swap... Check it out on www.nlclassifieds.com . And really a stock z6 winning against a stock ls?
By asianrob
cjw_89 wrote:
asianrob wrote:

. Wow that sucks. I assumed that by you living in the states they were like flies down there. Sorry!! But... If you were to see one come up an hour of so from where you live what do they usually go for. You see a scatter ls swap here go for roughly 500(usually a rotted full car) but vtec bs are snatched up and sold asap. Th
ere is a 93 cx here for sale now though,sir swap he want 3400 for it. Usually what you pay for an engine swap... Check it out on www.nlclassifieds.com . And really a stock z6 winning against a stock ls?

they usually are around 500-1500 for a long block. pending on condition and etc.. sometimes get lucky to get an B16A3 with trans or an A2 with trans for 1200 bucks with around 100K on it.

and yea LS over here are like flies lol soo many and every where A1 and B1's. theres a guy at my school selling a complete swap for 450. motor needs freshin up tho but thats still a deal. usually LS motors go for around 450 just for the long block.

and i had Z6 in a CX hatch and i smoked about 80% of LS's that raced. swapped and not swapped cars with I/H/E

down in the end its most likely what ever is available.
By cjw_89
#246934 Agreed. There really isnt a choice we can make for what ^ he is looking to buy. Bs are more fun the ds. They rev out quicker. Stock for stock.

I picked up an ls engine 2 years back for $100 including clutch.pp/flywheel and harness. Beat on it daily and sold it doubled my money 350k on it :P

Go with a z6 sure if you can find a p28 ecu thats not raped lol
By B-rad16
#246970 Hey thanks for all the input I am leaning towards the z6 since it is alot easier swap and it will be my first. I have a p28 ecu picked it up from the junk yard for 20 bucks over the weekend just looking for a decent motor. Probably looking to throw a turbo kit at it later down the road as well since they take we'll to the boost.
By Eg6H2D
JUICE wrote:

o rly?

:thumb: