Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By 92_eghatch
#243981 i posted pics a while back in my build thread of the underside of my driver side floor pan. i pulled my carpet up today to see how bad things really are. i didn't take pics...should have to illustrate what i'm planning on doing a little better...

my main seat mount (front rail running from rocker panel to exhaust hump) is fully intact and not bent. i located the rust spot in the rear and saw that the floor is bent up. i also found that i have two rust spots up front. one by the pedals, and one kind of close to the gas door and hatch levers, and it too is bent up. i also noticed there's some rust that runs up behind the pedals as well. (kind of sucks...)

so my theory was this: i would remove the front sheet metal and even the part that runs up behind my pedals. i would leave the mount for the gas and hatch levers intact along with the front seat mount and the two rear mounts. they are connected to either the exhaust hump or the rocket panel.

i would do the same for the rear, i would remove the rear sheet metal from the front seat mount all the way back to the raised portion for the rear seat. my only question would be what gauge metal to use to maintain structural support. anybody have any suggestions? if i could afford it i would just buy a whole floor pan and do the whole thing, but.... it would be like 750 after shipping. and i don't know anybody with an EG hatch just laying around i can hack up...

i am open to all suggestions. if it helps i will take pics of my floor for better illustration.
By ghskid06
#243994 You can cut a small sample peice to see what thickness youll need. Already a hole anyway right?
By 92_eghatch
#243999 Very true. As far as leaving the seat mounts intact and cutting around them. Do you think that willl work out ok?
this sucs...if I was still in florida. I could have just done this at my family's body shop and been done with it...fml...
By ghskid06
#244000 I have not messed with a floor much (none with an eg), but I dont see why it wouldnt. It might be better to replace only the dented/rusted areas and not entire sections. I imagine its going to be pretty difficult to get proper fitment otherwise. Then you can just sand the rest down and coat it with your new pieces after you finish your welding.
By 92_eghatch
ghskid06 wrote:I have not messed with a floor much (none with an eg), but I dont see why it wouldnt. It might be better to replace only the dented/rusted areas and not entire sections. I imagine its going to be pretty difficult to get proper fitment otherwise. Then you can just sand the rest down and coat it with your new pieces after you finish your welding.

pretty much what i had planned on doing. i would cut out the front section, and leave all the seat mounts. then cut out the back section and leave the two rear seat mounts. this way i would be able to weld to the seat mounts as well, instead of trying to play a guessing game trying to weld all the mounts in and having a crooked seat lol.

i've done some major fabrication before...but not on a civic lol. i've done door bottoms, quarters on two different chevelles, and a whole new trunk including frame rails in a fairlane. then there was the floor replacement on it also lol. and quarters... car was a mess...

the only thing i'm really concerned with on doing my floor is making sure i use thick enough metal so it doesn't dent from people hitting it with their shoes. i'm not worried about the back seat area too much because i don't carry passengers lol. ...was the same with my mustang. the guy i bought it from never had anybody in the back seat. and same when i bought it from him. i never had anyone back there either lol. back seat looked brand new! i loved it...