Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By M Riley
#242884 Last night as I was driving home from work a few blocks away my interior lights went dim. As I turned on my turn signal the RPM gauge was acting erratic, but my car was drivable. So I get home and tried to restart my car and no go. I wait a few minutes then my EG turned on with no problem. I turned off my car and restarted it a few times but this time the battery light kept coming on and off. Could this be the battery, alternator, or and electrical problem???
By M Riley
#242912 Anyone??? :?
By teal_dx
#242928 yeah, alternator wasn't charging the battery. Battery bay be able to be charged but it sounds like the alternator is toast unless it's just an unplugged/loose wire or the belt fell off.
By 1ACarlos
#243365 I agree it might be the alternator.
By Punksz6
#243390 U can always take ur ALt to a Autoparts and they can test it for you..Well thats what u can do over here in Cali if u take it to a Autozone or Kragens/ORileys... U can also clean the contacts inside the Alt if u wanted too.. But check the Wiring first to make sure. I had my wire come loose on me and had the same problems. The Battery light would light up and then go away after I hit a bump. So check that first and then let us know..

Hope that u get it fixed! :)
By Reptile
#244232 I had the same thing but a friend of mine,mechanic he is,he said that it was a battery issue cause my car was not moving for like a month or so so the battery needed recharging...i did recharge the battery no problem getting it on and off,my lights work properly now and all probs solved :D
By carlitosway
#244250 i agree with punksz6, make sure you start out cheap dont just go and buy an alternator, test the battery first and if thats good then test the alternator and also check fuses. sometimes it might be something that simple.
any reputable parts store i.e. auto zone, advance auto, oreileys all will do these test free of charge
good luck
By btk2334
#244497 if you have a multimeter you really just need to check the voltage across the battery while its running, with a good alternator it should read in the 13.7-14V range
By bserius
#249931 id go get it tested at your local parts store they will tell ya your weak spot when they charge battery and alternator. also always make sure your grounds are good and getting good contact.. stupid simple problems are what i always run into
By OleFolk
#251036 Idk I just changed my battery
One of my terminals was loose, I knew it was
On my way home and had the same thing happen to me

Every bump I hit, all of my lights would flicker. Dim and get brighter
My needle was freakin out

Once I tightened the terminal it never happened again

Edit: For you battery to benefit from your alternator you need to drive about 15 miles.

Your lights:
Cycle your ignition before starting
Wait until your srs and cel turn off on your cluster
Then start your car
If the battery light is still on then its your battery

Doing this is also using your fuel pump and 02 sensor properly