Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By 92civicEG4
#233402 hey, everyone. Ok, ill start off with the car info. Its a 92 honda civic EG4, D15B4, twin carb, 1.5L, auto transmission. So, it all started with idle surging. I never had this problem b4 after having it for a year. After driving for an hr or so, it would idle surge everytime im at a stop. Like rocks foward n backward. It only happens when i drive for a while. I've always left my idle timing to max retart. N drove like that for a year. Til i decided to mess around with the timing. Then 2 wks later, my car backfires a lot, no power under acceleration (even when i floor it to the max). N stalls a lot when i brake, or if i let go of the accelerater. I put it back to max retart, n its still the same. I thought it would b ok. Coz i did drove with max retart without any problems b4. I recently replaced new ngk spark plugs (BKR6E-11) before the backfiring n stalling happened. I thought the carb might b dirty, so i chucked in a fuel injector n carb cleaner. Still nothin changed. I always had carb problems when i bought the car. When i leave the car overnight n start it, black smoke comes out, then after driving it for 5mins it runs normal like every car. No smoke. Well only under hard acceleration. But it always ran fine. Before my spark plugs would go black but the tip is brownish, prob coz the fuel/carb cleaner cleans it. But right now its completely black all around. I know the carbs is running too rich n lean. But it always runned fine b4. Could the carb gone worse? Or maybe ignition wires? Igntion coil? Distrubuter? Fuel filter? I dont understand how it runs normal for a year, then one day F up. I'm guessing it could b electrical problem. Like not enough spark. Please tell me what might b wrong? I just about gave up on the car. Btw i never thrash my car. I drive normal, always check engine bay. All fluids topped up n changed. Thanks for reading guys.
By teal_dx
#233412 I'm not familiar with the carbed models as we didn't have them in the US.
But is there a check engine light on that you can trace the codes for?
Also have you checked the timing the proper way, with a timing gun? I would have done that first.
By 92civicEG4
#233455 nope, the engine light doesn't go on. I dont think it could b the timing, tho. Coz it was workin fine b4, til this happenend.