Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Aldo91
#230786 ok guys so here is the deal my dad got a giant roll of carbon fiber and said me and my friends could do whatever with it, it isnt weaved but it still carbon fiber meaning itll be functional, so far i plan on making ducts from the fog light holes to cool my breaks, i also plan on making molds of my panels and stuff to replace them and save weight. :thumb:

you guys got any ideas?if i figure out what i want to do with it my dad said he can get shit loads of it for free. im 19 years old and on a budget so take it easy lol

the roll, it is about as thick as a piece of paper.

the ducts(work in progress)

By Eg6H2D
#230791 uhhhmmm... gotta weave it for the look. but damn that is a sh!t load of carbon fiber... for free. cant beat that. send me some. :thumb:
By Aldo91
#230793 yeah i agree a lot of the carbon fiber out there is put on for the look but i mean if its going to be free and i can use it as functional, instead of for looks it be a good thing, my dad's boss has like 5 more of those rolls just chillin waiting for me to get em jaja
By Ecc0
#230820 I'd be happy to buy a roll off you, if you wanna make some pennies???.

I would look into making a new roof, with no sunroof that would be uba weight saving and I think looks the dogs dangle's

PM me if you wanna sell
By Aldo91
#230856 ok well to those of you asking for me to sell, im pretty sure i can, but i just want to clarify that this type of carbon fiber goes from one side to the other and is not weaved, it was used to be cut into strips to hold the magnets on a rotor for brushless rc car's electric motor. ill post more pictures later. so far i want to replace my head liner and some plastic inside the car.

but let me figure out the exact dimensions and ill let you guys know. :thumb:
By chrono404
#231006 You should use this stuff to make a Carbon Fiber Splitter and Rear Diffuser for your EG. Might not look like weaved CF however it will be very light and strong. If you want the Look of Carbon Fiber you can always put Carbon Fiber Vinyl on top of it.
By JUICE
#231012 this stuff looks cool

so what do you do? get a form then put some kind of resin on it?

i'm interested in some!!
By Aldo91
JUICE wrote:this stuff looks cool

so what do you do? get a form then put some kind of resin on it?

i'm interested in some!!

okay so the way it works is basically you mold it to whatever shape you want and then either use a heat gun, or put it in the oven so it bakes, or sun dry it(sun drying takes a shit load) so it hardens. or you can go the resin route.
By eggman95
#263321 Wondering what you did with all that carbon? Any panels or it didn't work out?Update please!!
By mr67volks
#263379 build a full undercarrage skin to reduce drag like you see in high end cars :D