Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By JDMteALeG6
#228801 ok so long story short. my car was jacked from the front of my house. It was driven so they broke the thing where you put the key in.
i wanted to know where i can maybe buy a new one?
If you dnt know what im talking about i will post pics up in a bit...
By JUICE
#228805 that would be the ignition. fixable, but quite a pain in the ass.

i think greasedmonkey did a how to on this somewhere on here...
By JDMteALeG6
#228807 pain in the ass... :x
what iguess they did was removed the plasitc crap behind the steerign wheel, and then they cut the lock off the metal piece where you stick in the key.
can i go to the dealer and maybe find that new metal piece that doesnt have the lock broken?
or are they all the same?
and if theres a DIY in this forum, and im new can some one maybe get the link for me? :wink:
By JDMteALeG6
#228823 34 views and only one person replied?!
thxs for your feedback juice; somewhat helpful believe it or not. :thumb:
By t0psecr3t
#228832 You can get that at a junkyard for around 16 bucks. The thing is it is held on by some torque bolts(think whats they're call) made to snap when fully tightened. You will have to get a dremel to remove those bolts.I did not go with the hassle of swapping over the lock cylinder, instead outside of pick n pull there is a locksmith who made the cylinder in the new ignition housing
work with my original key for an additional 15 bucks. I'm new here, but not to the game. First post hope to help someone out.
By JDMteALeG6
t0psecr3t wrote:You can get that at a junkyard for around 16 bucks. The thing is it is held on by some torque bolts(think whats they're call) made to snap when fully tightened. You will have to get a dremel to remove those bolts.I did not go with the hassle of swapping over the lock cylinder, instead outside of pick n pull there is a locksmith who made the cylinder in the new ignition housing
work with my original key for an additional 15 bucks. I'm new here, but not to the game. First post hope to help someone out.

:welcome:
Dude im new too and u have totally helped me out. :cheers:
Awsome to hear your .02 cents, and im will hit up the nearest junkyard tomorrow.
By tommyboy
#229108 take advantage of the all the DIY kill switch threads :thumb: $3 bucks and about an hour would of saved you from this. I just got my eg and did the switches the first weekend!
By JDMteALeG6
tommyboy wrote:take advantage of the all the DIY kill switch threads :thumb: $3 bucks and about an hour would of saved you from this. I just got my eg and did the switches the first weekend!

Link? please.
By Greasedmonkey
#229125 You want the steering lock assembly. Yes, i know what it is. I have replaced it 3 times now. I show pics of me doing in in one of my build threads. The part from honda is ...or was $255 with my discount. Not sure how much it will be for someone that doesnt work there. I hope to never find out.
By Sincere
#229126 its easy to change if you ask me took me only 45min and thats with re wiring the remote start car alarm again to the ignition. I have a 93 si and honda wanted $430 dollars for an ignition but you can purchase a 96 civic ignition for $120 and change the 3 prongs on the connector to match your ignition and then youre golden plus you have two new keys
By Greasedmonkey
#229128 you dont need to change any ignition parts at all. Just the lock assembly.
By Greasedmonkey
#229131 Doesnt look like I have pics up anymore of me replacing it. It isnt very hard though. If you have problems, take some pictures and PM me. I will hellp you get it fixed. you will want to get the new one rekeyed you your current key. A good locksmith should be able to do it for like $20.
By JDMteALeG6
#229148 :jawdrop: their money huh?
but i need to get this cuz i want to restore the interior to stock before i start modding...
im a cock pit guy if u know what i mean. you gotta feel comfortable in what u drive in IMO.
but thxs you guys very much for the feedback. 8) i think imma end up going to honda and buying the OEM piece, as far as installation, ill post pics up if i get stuck anywhere, but i dnt think i should have any problems.
By t0psecr3t
#229192 so no luck at the junkyard?