Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Tekdya
#219701 Hey guys, finally back into the eg game :)
Picked up a rough eg6 about a week ago, and have done shitloads to get her to run right. But then lastnight, I had a full can and for the first time, it just slowly popped out of 5th gear on the highway. Now my mechaninc had done the work on it before to get it safe to drive and he mentioned that the gear linkage and the sump is pretty much touching the exhaust piping.

So I went back to him and told him about the 5th gear popping out, and he said that it's the linkage hitting the exhaust pipe. It can't be worn syncro because it doesn't crunch at all (first signs of worn syncro) and also it;s 5th gear. Usually it's the first 3 or 4 gears which is most likely to have been worn.

Has anyone else had this problem before? So rolling on the highway on 5th gear doing 100kph (60mph). And it just pops out gently, in say 2-3 minute intervals. Any recommendations on what to do?

Thanks,
Sean
By teal_dx
#219721 crawl under and take a look at your linkage and exhaust. where they are contacting there should be a worn spot on the metal. You could try hitting that area with a big hammer to bend in the pipe, or have an exhaust shop bend it or make you a new one. You could also cut & weld the linkage to be shaped differently.

If the exhaust and linkage are touching each other at 5th gear, you would know because the vibration sound would be loud and very annoying.
By Apexracing
#219728 normally on most civics and integras, there is a spot on the linkage where it meets the shift lever that sticks out to the side and goes towards the rear of the car, cut this piece off.

^^^^^^
the lower piece is the shift linkage remove the part after the mount for the shift lever.
By Tekdya
#219760 Thanks guys. And yeah I'll get under the car soon, but my mechanic said that there are a lot of marks/scratches and he strongly agrees its the linkage. But I don't hear any loud vibrations in fifth?
By Apexracing
#219764 doesn't always vibrate, hows the shift into fifth is it effortless and smooth?
By Tekdya
#219773 Yeah it's not too bad eh, and no crunches in any of the gears. Was also thinking, 5th could be the worst because it's the smallest. I heard that 5th would be the easiest to pop out.
By EG {FIVE-500}
#221873 hi mate i see you posted this a week or so back just wondering if you had any luck on finding out the problem im having the same problem in third
By Gustavo
#221899 This happen 2 me. I was goin 80mph down the highway n it pop out of 5th gear. N how did i fix it....? Got a new tranny. :thumb:
By Ol' blue
#224762 Reccomend new tranny! Ask santa! :D
By 92dxeg
#225510 see if u need more trans fluid that happend to me b4 and i just needed to add a lilttle bit of fluid all better now lol
By Ol' blue
#225597 and check the master cylinder as well