Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By cjw_89
#216416 sooo. i have a 93 si the car has had a water leak for quite some time.I just got the car though.So yesterday i decided to remove all the tar and sound deadning off the floors.But my question is, where do i go from there?The car has some rust issues on the driverside front floor.NO HOLES!! just reall bad surface rust.I've seen people strip it wire wheel it then ???? i don't want it to rust anymore ... What do i spray down to revent rust that i can pick up at canadian tire or what not lol... The car is not a d.d. so its not to big of a deal..
By TrailerTrash
#216417 wire wheel/sand it down then spray it with something along the lines of undercoat or some people even use roll on/spray on truck bed liner
By cjw_89
#216519 a rust inhibitor? just undercoating on bare metal eats the metal away even worse?.So as for a rust inhibitor what would i look for?? I want something that is readily available.My options are "Canadian tire/Wal-mart/Auto world/Napa" Thanks for the feedback too.Its greatly appreciated.I will take some before and after pics too.I've seen a post once before on the web.It was an ek coupe and he stripped it and put some kind of coating on it,and i have yet to find that link again...

Also on the front half of the floors theres rectangular plugs,i removed both and theres like a false floor with a hole in each.Should i plug these holes to prevent any more water from coming in.Its from factory by the looks of it.

If there any picture requests while the interior is stripped feel free to ask,I would gladly post them up :thumb:
By teal_dx
#216668 EVen after you grind all the rust away, it is still prone to return over time since you can't get every bit removed because the rust makes the surface of the metal porous. A rust inhibitor is applied and it chemically converts rust into nickel (at least the one I used before did) I can't recall the brand I used, but http://www.rustbullet.com is a brand I see around a lot. I'm sure if you ask at the store, they will have a brand there. :thumb:

Follow the directions and then apply the undercoat or paint or truck bed liner, which ever route you go. This way you won't have trapped any rust under. If you're not planning on keeping the car long term, just undercoat or bed liner will be ok.
By deschlong
#216706 Your next problem will be to find the source of that water leak. My father has a 92 Si that had a leak in the driver's footwell. Turned out to be the sunroof drain that was draining inside the car. Quick fix but troublesome to track down.
By cjw_89
#217617 I can get this "ez liner" crap at canadian tire.It dosent let water in. So realistcly how long is longterm for it to last?? I don't want it to rot out within a yar or two.I have found the leak too :)

Turned out the previous owner took a knife to the drain sometime or another and it wasn't long enough to reach outside the car.I just picked up 10' of 1/2'' hose at crappy tire that will do the trick. After the leak is done,then the floor coating begins then the interior goes back in one piece. I have a hood lined up the previos owner snagged the cf hood(mangled) and tried to get an extra $250 off me for it f*ck him hahaha.It was in rough shape.

I am looking for one thing though bys before i install my carpet.Its the hatch release cable.The previous owner busted the hatch off it practically,Uneducated!!!! :x Fixing stupid mistakes stops me from getting this thing done.Where can i get one for cheeep or even free?
By sqsi
#219451 Eastwood.com has rust converter and sealer. works well.
By tikay
#223937 If the metal started to rust - he's tired. You can cover anything. He's tired. Recently I was engaged in the bodywork. Any part of the tired metal cut out, boiled new piece.
I am from Russia. In our climate is very difficult with the metal and rust.