Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By kross
#212809 so my friend crashed my hatch a week ago, hit a boulder and sorta spun around and crunched both fenders, bumper and lip. headlights all that good stuff but anyways i thought it wasnt that bad untill i pulled the fenders, bumper, and headlights off. untill i saw.....Image
so i was going to take it to a frame straightener but he said that the unside was too crumpled to pull it back out without it being very strong, and for him to replace that frame section it would cost $7000... and i was like hellll no am i doing that lol. so what i want to know is how hard would it be to get another frame, cut it out and weld it back in. also since im in alaska, there isnt very many hatches around otherwise i would do who WHOLE h22 swap again... so would a civic coupe or sedans frame be the same in the front?
By Dippin_EG
#212818 just call the insurance company, that shit is totalled, and replacing/welding that is gonna make the car really unsafe...or you could make it an outlaw car :wink:
By Classiccarsrule85
Dippin_EG wrote:just call the insurance company, that shit is totalled, and replacing/welding that is gonna make the car really unsafe...or you could make it an outlaw car :wink:

x2 .....but before insurance takes it.....but not before they look at it tae the engine out and whatever else you may want to keep....
By kross
#212837 well the thing is that i dont want to have them take it away becuase its very very hard to find a hatch up here. also i was thinking of just bending it out good enough to put everything back on, cause hell it didnt do anything to the handling becuase it bent just the very front part,
By Classiccarsrule85
#212885 the problem is what you bent is the frame there is no easy inexpensive fix for this....as that part of the frame being that bent there will be more likely that the chasis is off somewhere else as its a unibody frame you hit one spot and then another spot will possibly be off......its like warped wood you can unwarp it but no matter what you do its not ever going to be the same.....

the problem of where you hit is its right at the trans mount where it broke unless theres a very very highly skilled body shop your looking at something that wont ever be the same....and possibly in the future given one more hard pull or another hit that repaired area will then be an area of weakness which could result in you dieing from the accident.......or your engine suffering from a mount that broke away causing you more grief etc.....

if you really dont see hatchbacks around that area then look at other areas "road trip it" you could buy another hatch but you cant fix yourself so i wouldnt put yourself in danger by fixing that and just simply putting the parts back on its a hell of alot more complex than that....
By teal_dx
#212894 A Coupe and Hatch front end are identical. But as mentioned, it is not worth fixing. There's major damage there and it will never be the same again. There's alot of geometry in the front end and even if it was welded back together, it's not likely that the car will ever handle like it should.

You could cut the front off and build a tubular front end and use it as a drag car. But I wouldn't bother putting it back on the road. Better off to start looking for another car and then transfer all your aftermarket goods over to it. Then part this hatch out and send it away to scrap. From the one pic you posted, it looks like It's done :(

You could cut the nose off at the firewall and then add a hitch on the front and make a trailer

edit:
oh shit someone already did it!
By Adrian91
#213663 ouch! that sucks man. just part it out :thumb:
By ron_kimi
#213733 ouch! sorry to hear that bro better part out all the parts you can save and try to look for a new hatch.
By Dippin_EG
#213739 Teal, heres one a chick i know spotted in Georgia! Sweeeeeet

A trailer would be a great idea to keep the hatch alive!
By kross
#217279 ok so i decided to attempt to pull out the subframe. its hard to explain how it all works but you can probably figure it out from the pictures but it seems to be working, but i broke my cheap come-along so i had to fix up another one i had so i still have a little tweaking to do but for the most part its looking pretty good. it sucks cause this is my first honda and it happend 2 weeks after i got it. lets just say my friend isnt so much of a friend anymore. :x
so all i have left is to pull that beam father over, weld on the nuts on the backside of the i think bumper support. and then just tweak the radiator support to get everything to fit right.

By chrono404
#217288 This is an awesome way to pull the core support straight.

Having Growing up in a Small Logging town I approve of the thinking behind pulling the rad support back together. When I saw this i was like "Dude! that's awesome."

I'm not sure how strong the front end will be. However if you can bolt on New Fenders hood and bumper and it line it up so it all lines up you will have even more of my respect. Good work so far. :thumb: :thumb:
By RPGonzos_EJ
#217314 +1 For the taking matters into your own hands

I would however invest into a very stiff upper strut tower bar to help the support of the frame a bit. And maybe even a custom bar to go between the two tow hooks so that you have something on the lower side of the car keeping things spread.

GL! :woot:
By kross
#217328 thanks for the support lol, my goal is to have everything aligned right, im going to pull the radiator support basically the same way but im just gunna use some vicegrips with a washer at the end and try to tweak everything into place. thanks for the advice on the towerbar and the idea of a lower bar. ill have to see what i can weld up xD. and yes i live in a very small town of like 1000, so when you need things done, things get ghetto :wink:
i have to get this finished because its snowing for the winter. once it snows good, it wont melt untill about march :cry: