Auto-X, Road Race, SCCA, NASA, & other motorsports
By 1993 Civic Si
#224 This is our first season and was hoping to get any set-up ideas on what different people are running in their classes. Kind of, what's worked, what hasn't. We run in HS with a nearly box stock car.
By teal_dx
#231 I ran STS before I got too crazy with my dx.
It was still an automatic then.
Had some 16x7 rims, nothing light weight.
Tokico HP's with coil over conversion springs.
ES Master bushing kit.
Strut tower brace.
Intake, Header, Exhaust.
No Spare/Jack.
OEM pads/rotors.

It didn't even have sway bars (dx) lol. It was the oldest car there in STS every time but it was fun :D I'd get my ass handed to me usually but my best was 2nd. The RSX's were always strong, and there was a guy that usually won in a 2000+ eclipse... he could drive! I can't wait to get my car finished and get back out there.
By 1993 Civic Si
#234 I guess I coulda posted our set-up...DOH!

The car/mods are posted here:

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=76

...and on my homepage!

I've done the "little" stuff so far, and they have helped. The thing is, at least my theory, running a 13 year old car with 140,xxx miles, the car has lost some of it's performance from when it was new. The springs, struts, and bushings have become softer. The engine has lost some compression, etc., etc., etc. Even though HS is the slowest class, it's still hard to keep up with a brand new Mini or Neon.

So, really, most of what I've done so far is to try to reclaim performance, rather than truly improving it...at least improving it over new. Stuff like intake and injector cleaning, switching to synthetic in the tranny, better ignition wires, K&N...people scoff at some of that. I don't have a dyno to prove it, but the cars MPG has increased by about FIVE MILES PER GALLON!!! From 32 up to 37...I even hit 38 on the last tank!

Other than the few improvements, we're running really crappy ASR's of OEM size. I run 32 F and 34 R, but this will vary by tire make. I did have to buy 2 new ASR for it, just after we bought the car. I run the new tires on the rear because of the tread walk to help loosen the rear end.

I actually tried the new ones on the front for one event. How'd it work? NOT TOO GOOD. Of course, the tread walk made the understeering WORSE.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, I also run with a full tank of fuel. I tried the first several events on 1/4 tank, or less. The car simply would NOT rotate. We switched the new tires to the rear, and it helped...some. But, by adding a little sprung weight to the rear, it helped the suspension work. Keep in mind WHERE the fuel tank is on our cars. I went initially with 3/4 tank, but now run full to minimize the sloshing effect.

The soft OEM springs, 13 year old struts, and smallish (21mm) FSB REALLY get make for a lot of body roll. With all of that against it, running against newer cars on r-comps, and better drivers, we usually get a similar treatment.

However, we're usually next, if not the first, car running on non r-comps in our class. Figuring out the air pressures was HUGE, as well as adding fuel. We're getting there...one little step at a time.

Prolly most important is that we're becoming better drivers. The learning curve is SO steep. We plan on attending as many auto-x schools as possible next year. We hope to get in around 20-30 events, too. We'll prolly step up to STS the following year.

Hope you get your car back out soon!!!
By 1993 Civic Si
#12704 We'll, we've gotten our first season completed, and are nearing halfway through our second so I thought I'd update our setup.

EXTENSIVE Driver Development (see below) :)
Kumho V710's 195/55 (30F/51R)
Isuzu I-Mark RS (w/Lotus Suspension) alloys (roughly 10.5 lbs. each)
Koni Sports (full soft F / full firm R)
1/16th toe out F and R
Energy Suspension FSB poly bushings
K & N panel filter
eBay can
Castrol Syntec (crankcase)
Red Line MTL (tranny)
MSD wires

I remove the cargo cover, spare tire and tools, and everything else from the passenger compartment. I also run with about 1/8 tank of fuel now.

Yet to come...
22mm FSB (with ES bushings!) from a 'teggy LS ($40)
Custom mandrel bent cat-back exhaust (open to suggestions on diameter...help?)

By the way, the car now averages 40+ MPG...as high as 42! :thumb:

Here's the car a little earlier this year. This was my first win!

So far, this has been an awesome year. I've won 4 events, lead our club's Day Series points championship, am second in our Nite Series points, and second in points with another club's mini-series. I also generally finish in the top 10 in PAX, and have finished as high as 4th PAX.

Last season, my best finish was 2nd, but around 2 full seconds behind the leader. I also generally finished mid pack in PAX, sometimes cracking the top third of the field.

How the dramatic turnaround? Driver development, plain and simple. I don't write this to brag, but to tell you HOW I improved.

From February to May, I attended 4 driver's schools (including Evolution Phase I). Between the schools and several events, I logged roughly 150 autocross runs. That's about the number of runs the "average" autocrosser gets in THREE YEARS. Not only was this a ton of seat time, it was high quality, instructed seat time by Nationals level drivers.

The EG, in my opinion, is an EXCELLENT platform for many autocross classes, including H Stock, STS, and the Street Prepared classes. A friend, and mentor, regularly sets FTD (Fastest Time of the Day) in his FSP EG hatch. :wink:

Further, all the EG models compete in the same Stock and STS classes. I'm not so sure that non-Si models don't have a slight advantage over the Si, at least in some areas. Although the Si gets several factory upgrades, it puts on a good deal of weight over other models. Plus, the Si goes into DSP (when appropriately modded) and has to run against the BMW 318's. Other EG's go into FSP where, I think, they're more competitive.

Whether you've done a full JDM GSR swap, or you're bone stock as I was, find an event and have FUN!

Post up your thoughts, set-ups, and experiences! :wink:
By 1993 Civic Si
#12785 PS...

These Driver's Schools I mentioned are CHEAP seat time. Well, besides the Evo Schools. Most Regional schools are around $40. :wink:
By Greasedmonkey
#13161 My setup, which has treated me well was:

KYB Agx's set at full firm all arround
Ground Control Coilovers (450/350)
Stock front sway bar
No rear sway bar
No strut bars at all

Never had any problems at all. Rotated when I needed it too arround turns and gripped like I wanted it too.

I cant really say what tires I was on, cuz every race they changed. I use 14inch audi wheels with 195/60 falken 329s and ive used Rota Grids with 205/50/15 Azenis.

My current set up is

KSport full coilovers 12k/9k rates
LS meshies with BFgoodrich G force sports
same front sway bar
no rear sway.

Ive also got a motor swap now so i am truly in the class Im spose to be in now.
By teal_dx
#13173 Back when I ran my civic dx in STS, I had:
Tokico Blues w/ ebay coil overs (I believe 12kg front, 10kg rear)
Energy suspension master kit
Energy Suspension
Trailing Arm Bushings
Ingalls front camber kit (didn't really need it)
no sway bars
front strut tower brace
some cheap 16x7 wheels (about 20 lbs each)
and Kumho 712's

I was there for fun, the best I ever did was second place. There was usually 10-15 cars in STS and mine was always the oldest, They called me Old School. The guy that always won had a 2001 Eclipse GT, He could drive too!

So now when I get more miles on the motor, I'll be in SM where I'm sure I'll have my ass handed to me. But it will still be fun :)
By Knuckles
#19117 Ok, now this is my kind of race. I have won different classes here in the Philippines.

My current set-up would be a nearly stock d15b VTEC with just a short ram intake, stock exhaust manifold with 2" straight pipe to a Blitz muff Denso Iridium and NGK wires.

Suspension:

OHLINS race damper and springs
ITR front strut tower bar
EG6 rear sway bar
Zspeed rear lower tie bar
Custom made rear upper strut bar

Brakes:
OEM EG4 up front and EG6 discs at the rear w/ ITR master
Bendix brake pads

Wheels are ROTA Group Ns wrapped with Neova AD07.

so far this is doing good for me.

Im boosting the car soon with a Nissan T3 unit so Im going to find a new balance for my car.

1993 Civic SI: man, isn't that too much body roll?

:D
By 1993 Civic Si
Knuckles wrote:1993 Civic SI: man, isn't that too much body roll?

:D

LOL! Ya, the OEM springs are just a tad soft! The Si did get a small (21mm) front bar, but it obviously isn't enough.

I do have a GSR front bar (24mm) on it's way. I hope that will control some of the roll, yet not make the car push too much. Most aftermarket front bars are 25-26mm. I'm hoping the GSR bar is a nice compromise.

Not to mention, I got it for less than HALF the price of a new aftermarket bar!

Interesting set-ups and suggestions. Next minor upgrade for me will be iridium plugs. :thumb: