Auto-X, Road Race, SCCA, NASA, & other motorsports
By jrowley
#331673 Hi guys I'm just trying to get some opinions and hopefully some hands on experience w using a manual rack vs a power steering rack in autox . I'm shooting for running in the st class this year w my ex coupe right now has power steering but I have always enjoyed the feedback from manual racks but given the low speed corners will it benefit me to swap out power steering or keep it?

Constructive criticism only please :)
By teal_dx
#331692 As long as you're moving, there is not much of a noticeable difference. I converted to manual. The power rack actually has a slightly quicker ratio than the manual rack, so by converting you get the best of both worlds. Unless you're trying to turn at a standstill :lol: :D
By jrowley
#331712 Word thanks for the input I have not run auto x before so I wasn't sure if I would be at speed or going to slow that the manual would be tough to turn I had a DX w 15x8 before and that thing low speeds was atrocious to turn right now I have 15x7 and with the different ratio I'm guessing it will be easier then thanks teal I'll probably change that over this weekend.
By civicexracer
#332356 If you've never autox'd before, it really doesn't make a difference... You'll be far more focused on staying on course and not looking dumb than your steering wheel lol.

FWIW, I love the feel of a manual rack. My '91 Si has a manual rack with a smaller Momo steering wheel. It's very responsive and gives great feedback. My '95 still has the power steering and OEM steering wheel. I feel like I'm driving a bus going from one car to the other with how big the wheel is. I feel in some of the real hot days and after a couple of runs going through some fast transition portions like a slalom, the steering system struggles to keep up with my inputs and I can feel it lag and give some resistance.

But again, it doesn't matter if you're new to autox, you won't notice any of that..
By Uknterror
#332372 Go manual steering. With older power steering units response becomes twitchy and vague at high speeds. I know in AutoX you wont be getting in high speeds but manual steering provides the best response and doesn't leave you guessing how much steering input (if your really focused on that).
By jrowley
#332387 OK sounds good I did alot of touge running back in the day but that was much higher speed than autox for sure and I loved the manual rack but wanted opinions I am very focused on my set up as I consider myself quite a good driver ask apex we ran each other all the time but now want to be safe about it lol
By civicexracer
jrowley wrote:OK sounds good I did alot of touge running back in the day but that was much higher speed than autox for sure and I loved the manual rack but wanted opinions I am very focused on my set up as I consider myself quite a good driver ask apex we ran each other all the time but now want to be safe about it lol

Being an instructor for a number of years now, I can say you probably aren't as good of a driver as you may think you are. At least when it comes to autox. It's a different skill set than driving on the street or track. The speed doesn't matter, you will make just as many, if not far more, steering inputs on a long autox course than you will on some tracks. And the steering inputs are far sharper and the transitions are also much faster. Which means your steering responses need to be quick and smooth.

Go do some autox events and some track events before you change anything. Trust me. It won't make a difference what you have when starting out. You'll be slow..
By jrowley
#332456 ^^ this is true I may consider myself good at handling a car but to you I probably suck lol so yeah once I get some track time and test my skill set I'll see if the manual rack is a change I'll want to make. Thanks