Auto-X, Road Race, SCCA, NASA, & other motorsports
By teal_dx
#32379 I'm asking santa for a helmet this xmas...
I will be using the helmet for auto-x. Price range is $150 or less. The ratings determine M = motorcycle or SA = auto/kart (fire retardant), and the year after is the year which they were approved. Helmets can be used up to 10 years after their Snell date.

For local auto-x, I'm not sure how much significance the rating plays? Are M rated helmets acceptable for auto-x? Do they really check the year of the helmet? After using the sweaty loaner community helmets at past events, I'm really considering a removable liner, or is this not that big of a deal? (if it is my own sweat, it's not so bad) Would a helmet worn for 1-2 min at a time, 6 times a day, 5-10 times a year in summer really need to have the liner washed?

Here's some possible suspects I found at Summit & Jegs:

Zamp J-1 Snell M2005 rating, removable lining $70

Zamp FS-2 Snell M2005 rating, lightweight $110 ($100 on sale)

G-FORCE GF650 Helmet Snell M2000 rating $110 (cheap cause it expires in 2 yrs?)

Simpson Cruiser HelmetSnell M2005 rating $129

Zamp JA-1 Helmets snell SA2005 rating, removable lining $130

RCI-3015W Snell M2000 rating, removable liner $145 (cheap cause it expires in 2 yrs?)

G-FORCE Force 1 Helmets Snell M2005 rating, light, good airflow, $150

G-FORCE GF750 Helmets Snell SA2005 rating, light, good airflow, $150[url][/url]

If you have any other suggestions in the sub $150 range, post them :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
#32602 Im going to be getting a helmet too. Mine wont be legal for the autox after this year ends.
By Gorveatt
#32604 I would say the 2nd, or 7th ones. i like the look of the full face helmet. and you can just remove the shield if you don't want it on
By Greasedmonkey
#32605 I like the second one best. and its decently priced. I need the Snell rating before I get a helmet too.
By teal_dx
#32609 I decided to spend a little extra and go with the GF750, in black of course 8)
I wanted to go with an SA rating in case I ever take my EG to any road course events :thumb:
By EtherEg
#35493 i thought here in ohio they had to be 95+ snell rated? am i wrong?

id like open face, to view the roadbetter
By ohDirka
#35520 I might have to come up for an event over the summer Brian :cheers: :drink: I'll be the civic-eg drunkard