Auto-X, Road Race, SCCA, NASA, & other motorsports
By EJ1_MK
#277786 Does anyone run in the NASA H4 or H2 class here, trying to get some ideas on setups engine wise. the rule book does not really specifiy H4 class stuff.

Me and a few of my close friends want to build a car in the next year and want to start in H4 and move to H2 or H1 after we get settled with everything about the car.
By stupidhurts
#279530 Section 8.1 lists all allowable modifications in H1-H5

I'd stay away from H1, people spend World Challenge money there. I would jump into H2 using a B20 in a CRX or EF civic.
By EJ1_MK
#279565 Yeah I have read the rules over and over it list things extremely descriptive for H1 and H2 but the other three classes it does not say what you can and can not do for the engine. The only thing that I have found even on the NASA forums is if you have a dx coupe you can put a ex engine in since that those were the only two engines offered in that body style. same goes for all other chassis. Just wondering if I can build the motor or if i need to leave it mostly stock.

But the suspension, cage, etc is pretty much open. We are starting off in a lower class so that we can gain knowledge first and then move it up to H2. Yeah H1 and the TT series is where some really money gets thrown at the cars.
By EJ1_MK
#279699 So if I read this correctly, I can put a d16z6 in a ej2 chassis, and build it to a certain point. But as it reads can I add higher compression pistons or do you have to run something more stock or from another stock engine like a p29 set up.
By stupidhurts
#279760 Yes, that is a H4 legal swap.

Negative on the high compression pistons.

Factory replacement pistons or the exact equivalent shall be used. Exact equivalent shall be defined as
the same dome/dish/valve relief configuration, weight, ring thickness and location, and pin location as
the OEM replacement piston. Wrist pins and method of retention must also conform to OEM
specifications. In the event that a .040 factory replacement piston/wrist pin is not available, the oversize
pistons/wrist pins shall not weigh any less than the largest size OEM piston for that engine.

Its all right in front of you, and if the rule book does not mention something then it's not legal.