Auto-X, Road Race, SCCA, NASA, & other motorsports
By hmobeg
#262626 ok so i was at the races in ill. tonight (rockford ill.) and the have a spectator runs. for those who dont know its one lap around the 1/4 mile track its a circle and it is well shaped good banks. now for the last six weeks or so there is a driver that enters and wins every week. i wanna wax his ass :twisted: . his car is a chev. cobalt ss manuel gear box and wheels and tires are after market other then that its stock. so my question is any one got any advise or tips for me???

my car is a 93 si with a b16a swap i just put sk2 sport shocks and sk2 lowering springs its been ported and polished its tunned with jun its got the c/a intake and a full exaust dc headers with 2 1/2 pipe all the way back no camber kit.

Track Description: .29167 mile asphalt oval with a limestone base. Corners are banked at 22 degrees and are 50 ft wide with a roller coaster effect. Straights are banked at 8 degrees and are 40 ft wide.
By Ajax1989
#262629 if your can can grip, go low, the inside of the track is the fast around
EDIT: on the front and back strech you wanna get up close to the wall and dive into the turns

my tip would be watch nascar
and play the nascar games like 09+
you can learn so much,... yes they drive in circles, but i wanna see anyone on here get in a 3500ish lb car and go 200mph around a track.. yea ur gonna total a million dollar race car lol /rant

but if you go low(inside)
and u cant turn, move up a lane, that means ur car is to tight
if you turn and ur wants to spin ur too lose

but the most important thing is tires
By 94EJ2
#262687 put your foot on the throttle and dont miss any shifts its all about the best driver the fastest car in the world could loose a race to a pinto if the driver had no idea what he was doin and if he just out runs you turbo your car ;)
By That One Dude
#262710 Y'all are forgetting the straights and corner entry/exit. It's one thing to be low on the track in the corner (yeah, that's the best line in the CORNER), but you have to make your steering wheel motions as smooth as possible to avoid putting too much stress on the tires and ultimately overdriving your tires. The reason why NASCAR divers go high in the straights and low in the corners is because that makes the track as smooth and as long as possible. That's not to say you should pick a line and stick it. Work different lines to see how your car reacts to it. Go lower in the straights and higher in the corner or the other way around. It's not always about having the most powerful car out there. It's a balanced combination of driver skill, driver mentality, driver FOCUS, good tires, and power when you need it but the ability to lay off the power when you don't.

I was keeping up with S2000s on backroads with my 1997 LS with stock suspension and a B16 tranny on bad ass tires. I was eating S2k exhaust fumes in my ITR until she got stolen.

Ultimately, it takes practice.
By Ajax1989
That One Dude wrote:Y'all are forgetting the straights and corner entry/exit. It's one thing to be low on the track in the corner (yeah, that's the best line in the CORNER), but you have to make your steering wheel motions as smooth as possible to avoid putting too much stress on the tires and ultimately overdriving your tires. The reason why NASCAR divers go high in the straights and low in the corners is because that makes the track as smooth and as long as possible. That's not to say you should pick a line and stick it. Work different lines to see how your car reacts to it. Go lower in the straights and higher in the corner or the other way around. It's not always about having the most powerful car out there. It's a balanced combination of driver skill, driver mentality, driver FOCUS, good tires, and power when you need it but the ability to lay off the power when you don't.

I was keeping up with S2000s on backroads with my 1997 LS with stock suspension and a B16 tranny on bad ass tires. I was eating S2k exhaust fumes in my ITR until she got stolen.

Ultimately, it takes practice.

this +1 :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
#263012 You also have to take into account the length of the straights. B16a trannys are a short geared tranny, not meant for high speeds.
By mr67volks
#263017 this is a 1/3 mile oval , its not much of a stright , we are talking lap times of 45 secs if he is at around 50 mph average speed so i dont think he will have to worry about straights
By hmobeg
#263037 and its a standing start and only one lap.