Auto-X, Road Race, SCCA, NASA, & other motorsports
By 1993 Civic Si
#13387 I thought I'd post this so that others may learn from my mistakes...and the results. :?

Our commute to and from events is usually 2+ hours...one way. So, like many other racers, we change to our r-comps when we arrive.

Recently, I picked up a used set of Stock Class legal wheels for my r-comps from a 1989 Isuzu. Aside from ordering a set of Volk's for $2,000 +/-, these are the LIGHTEST 14x5 wheels around. :wink:

However, the offset for these wheels is 46mm, compared to 40mm for OEM. So, to push the wheels back out, I ran 5/16th spacers. I also used the OEM Honda lugs on the Isuzu wheels.

In addition to changing wheels/tires twice at each event, I also torque the lugs to 80 ft/lbs. Further, I re-check the torque after nearly every run.

I'd just re-checked them before this run. Here's the result...

What happened??? The lugs failed and the RF wheel came completely off the car. The lugs were described as "bullets." Thankfully, no course worker was injured.

Here's some more pictures of the damage.

Note the stud and nut for the lower balljoint...

Here's the driver's side for comparison...

Also, the tie-down and plastic covers saw the asphalt.

HOW did this happen???

I'm no Mechanical Engineer, but I do have my theories.

First of all, I think metal fatigue was a factor. These were the ORIGINAL studs and lugs. Also, consider if a racer makes 10 events a year, that's TWENTY wheel changes. That's as much component wear as a street car would see in 10 YEARS...IF the tires were rotated properly.

Further, consider that many repair shops simply set their air guns to 100 ft/lbs and leave them. Over the life of the car, there's no telling how many times the lugs were over-torqued.

Another factor was using Honda lugs on Isuzu wheels. Hondas lugs/wheels have spherical seats, compared to conical seats for nearly every other manufacturer. Thus, I ended up with a "round" peg for a "square" hole, if you will. This improper seating would allow the wheel to "squirm."

Still another factor was the size of my wheel spacers. The THICKNESS of the spacers prevented the lugs from getting enough "bite" on the studs. Although I had the recommended "4-5 finger turns," that obviously wasn't enough.

The failure occurred just after a short, but very firm, braking zone, followed immediately by a LH turn. I'd just turned in when it happened. Given the weight transfer, the RF was FULLY loaded when it failed. Additionally, using r-comps allowed for more even lateral force on the suspension.

How could this have been prevented???

-New, longer studs and lugs at ALL corners.

-Additional set of proper lugs for the race wheels.

Experienced racers consider lugs/studs to be wear items and replace them yearly. I fully understand why, now. Again, thankfully, no one was hurt. Replacing these items is CHEAP insurance. Perhaps someone can avoid MY mistakes from reading this.
By asianrob
#13388 damn glad to hear you are ok something similar happened to me one time lower ball joint castle nut came off then my spindal came off at 60 MPH and i came to a sliding hault
By 1993 Civic Si
eg8ferio wrote:damn glad to hear you are ok something similar happened to me one time lower ball joint castle nut came off then my spindal came off at 60 MPH and i came to a sliding hault

WOW!!! I'm guessing that was on the street, too. Gees. Good to hear YOU'RE OK.

Ya, that was another blessing...that it happened in a controlled environment at low speeds.

Our commute home would've been with the car fully loaded, and traveling DOWN a mountain highway at around 65 MPH...at NIGHT. Coulda been a LOT worse.
By Greasedmonkey
#13395 I had that happen to me a long trip to see my girl one night. I was driving about 60 mph and my left front wheel just pops off. and I go sliding into the ditch off on the side of the road. scared the shit outta me.

Had to go and get a new Fat five after it happened too..totally destroyed the rim.

Here is what mine looked like.

That is after I pulled it out a bit so I could still drive arround. otherwise it would eat into my tire all the tiem.
By ChicagoMike
#13400 Good write up! :thumb:

Lugs are something that is easily overlooked, and not many people would even consider swapping theirs out. When in reality, most of us are riding the stock one's, and that puts them anywhere between 12-15 years old.....and god only knows how much use they've seen!

I'm glad you were okay! Now fix her up and get her back out! :lol: :lol:
By york62
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:Good write up! :thumb:

Lugs are something that is easily overlooked, and not many people would even consider swapping theirs out. When in reality, most of us are riding the stock one's, and that puts them anywhere between 12-15 years old.....and god only knows how much use they've seen!

very true, i think i may get some ARP wheel studs. then i will knwo there new at least.

yes good write up and its IS deffently something easily overlooked.
By ChicagoMike
york62 wrote:
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:Good write up! :thumb:

very true, i think i may get some ARP wheel studs. then i will knwo there new at least.

yes good write up and its IS deffently something easily overlooked.

I've got a set of Eibach extended studs that I have to install, I've just been dragging my feet on getting it done, but after reading this thread.......I gotta get on it.
By teal_dx
#13448 That's a shame to see, thanks for taking the time to share with us. Just wondering, how much do the 14" Isuzu's weigh?

Looks like you'll need to replace the lower end link, castle nut, and fender? Can't tell if the door is a dent or just a scuff....

At least it happened on a closed course and not the road. :thumb:
By york62
1993 Civic Si wrote:Note the stud and nut for the lower balljoint...

what nut and stud haha... :shock:
By 1993 Civic Si
teal_dx wrote:That's a shame to see, thanks for taking the time to share with us. Just wondering, how much do the 14" Isuzu's weigh?

Looks like you'll need to replace the lower end link, castle nut, and fender? Can't tell if the door is a dent or just a scuff....

At least it happened on a closed course and not the road. :thumb:

Well, since I only had my bathroom scales to weigh them, the weight is somewhat suspect. However, I used the same scale to weigh the OEM steelies and CRX Si wheels...and it was pretty much on (within a few tenths of a pound) to other published weights I've seen for these wheels.

Long story short, and to err to the side of caution, Imma say 10.5-11.0 lbs. each. :hehe: I couldn't find a weight for them on any of the published lists I've seen.

The lightest wheels, btw, that I've seen are the Volks @ 8.9 lbs. But, they're like $2-2,500 a set. :eh:

I think the door is OK, so I'm looking at the suspension stuff and a fender.

Thanks for all the support, guys! :)