Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By dlam804
#278919 I know its a old thread but great work!!

I was going to try to do mine over the winter. I was wondering, instead of using sheet metal, I've seen someone use carbon fiber to cover the big holes from an old hood. Do u think that would be as safe as the sheet metal?

also do u know where i can order the rubber garments for the engine bay. I had a web site but i guessed it moved or shut down.
By teal_dx
#278935 You can get the rubber plugs from any dealership or dealer's site. Probably ebay too.

I don't see how Carbon fiber pieces would hold up. How would you attach it to the metal? I think whatever resin you used to attach it would crack over time. Nothing is going to hold up better than welding.

Or do you mean making carbon fiber plugs for the back left on the firewall? I don't see why that wouldn't work. If you/re gong to shave the rest of the bay and already be welding though, I'd just weld in metal. Unless you might want to put your Battery/fuse box/AC back in down the road.
By dlam804
#279014 Idk I just saw a picture online n saw carbon fiber covering the holes. Not sure what is was, just assumed it was from an old hood
By vasquezkito
#285378 since i dnt got a welder .. wat if i used fiberglass to shave my engine bay would that be a good idea??
By FG2_Andrew
teal_dx wrote:I think fiberglass will crack eventually.

with all the vibration/heat/cold, i think teal is right.
By jdmdomo
#287731 I REALLY LIKE THE COLOR ON THE ENGINE BAY .. SIR .. :thumb:

GOOD JOB ..

KEEP POSTING PICTURES ...

THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US ..
By EgAiddo
#291833 well worth it looks great :thumb:
By Axix23
#345253 i will be using this thread on tucking some wiring harness. Do you have up close photos of how you extended your wiring harness and how much to extend?
By rustyrex
#345256 I either did something really right or really wrong lol. I was able to tuck my headlight and engine harness with having to cut, shorten or extend a single wire.
By teal_dx
Axix23 wrote:i will be using this thread on tucking some wiring harness. Do you have up close photos of how you extended your wiring harness and how much to extend?

To extend, you always want to use the solder method with shrink wrap. Stay away from crimping connectors and electrical tape as those aren't as solid over time. Think of all the bumps and vibrations your car sees every day. When I measured how much wire I needed, I always added some extra. It's better to give yourself extra wire than to be on the short side.
By teal_dx
rustyrex wrote:I either did something really right or really wrong lol. I was able to tuck my headlight and engine harness with having to cut, shorten or extend a single wire.

I'm on my phone right now or else I would find and post the Citizen Kane clapping .gif
By Axix23
#346882 i actually was able to tuck my passenger's side/driver's side wiring a different way. I was able to run them from under the chasis into the fenderwell. I didn't have to solder/lengthen/or anything. Everything had proper length. I will show pics when i get them uploaded. This method, you will need your inner fender liner.
By Axix23
rustyrex wrote:I either did something really right or really wrong lol. I was able to tuck my headlight and engine harness with having to cut, shorten or extend a single wire.

I was able to do the same thing. I just re-wrapped the wiring harness with fresh electrical tape. I also used this new engine wiring harness tape called Tesa. Very good quality tape and looks great! :thumb: