Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By Civic_HatchSI
#61874 Im not no artist so i didn't go all fancy with some funky text or graffiti on my VC lol..... but I did end up painting it with the left over paint from my car. Mind you I was very unsure on the idea because I seen a lot of mess up online, but we did it anyways :D Oh and btw this is just a guide line, so if you fuck up your VC don't blame me :p

Heres a quick DIY :thumbsup:

-Remove your VC, in my case I needed to cut the side of mine for my cam gears, so I did that right after it was removed.

A jig saw was used to cut my half moon, not fun to do by any means.

-Once you have your VC off, place it outside on a piece a wood or something that can be moved.

- Get some high quality Paint stripper, I used Heavy Body Paint and Varnish remover. Pour some all over the VC, make sure to have gloves on or use a brush.

- Once it sits there for a good 10 minutes it will just peal right off, you can use a puddy knife or a brush to remove the old baked on factory paint.
*NOTE very messy and strong do this outside! Wear a mask

- Rinse it off very well with a water hose, to get in all the cracks and to remove the paint stripper.

-After its all rinsed let it dry very well, then clean it all with Varsol or some kind of cleaner to remove your finger prints and dirt on the VC.
*Note clean it well, so paint wont bubble when you spray it on.

-Tape off all the plug wire holes, and the oil cap hole, so no paint will get into the threads. You can tape off the lettering if you wish but I did not.

-Start priming! use a good automotive primer. Do thin coats of paint, so it wont run. I did about 5 coats. Let each coat dry before reapplying.
*Note take your time, this is something you don't want to rush at!

*Note after you prime its best if you sand it down lightly!!! with 1500 grit to get any dust or lint out of the primer.

-Decide on what color you want for you VC, In my case I used a 2 step candy red automotive paint, that was left over from my car. I went down to the local paint shop and got them to put my paint in a aerosol spray can so I could apply it to my VC.

-First base paint I did about 3 coats

-Applied the candy red clear, I did about 5 coats of clear to really make her shine lol

I let that dry over night, to make sure it was completely dry.

-Next day I used a blade and 1500grit sandpaper and sanded off the lettering! This is how I wanted to do it, but feel free to make it your own and do what you like.

Finished result

Im going to top it all off with a carbon fiber plug cover when it arrives :0)

Hope this helped, any questions feel free to ask
Last edited by Civic_HatchSI on Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Gorveatt
#61878 Holy shit Holly that does look good, thats gonna flow well with the car with the C/F plug cover too :D
By Faded_Milano
#61879 looks very good, I'll use this for my D sometime, thanks
By MI_excoupe
#61881 dang.. that turned out really nice.. great job.
By CivicTypeR
#61905 Candy to my eyes.
By kimosabe
#61917 good work ! I love !
By jmsplitfyre
#62853 Nice work there, Ms. Holly! :thumb:
By york62
#62866 good write up holly looks really good!!
By ohDirka
#62906 Great write up Holly :thumb: Good color choice too :thumb: :thumb:
By OmarG
teal_dx wrote:nice job! I just painted mine too, sanded letters and all. you beat me to the DIY post :lol:

Post it anyways! I want to see your D!
By estilomania
#63219 i did that too with mine, and i spray it from a distance so i have the rough surface like the original paint was..

also with cf spark plug cover.. yeah baby..

By a_CoUpE
#63485 i have my old Single cam one.

when i finish / get good pics of my B ill post them.
By Method
#67706 why cut it out for the cam gears?