Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By Ex-Cvic
#1504 To start remove the headlights then remove the chrome clips all around,
put them in the oven to bake @ 350 degress for 5 mins NO MORE than That, to be on the safe side, as soon as you take them out be careful they will be HOTT you will need mittens and maybe a flathead screw driver , you just pull the glass from the plastic and let it cool on its own, I made the mistake of putting the glass in water and it broke into two. and to paint it just mask the center of the headlight area and paint around it , ive seen people paint the whole thing. lol. i suggest you use krylon fusion, its works great. after the paint is done, with a heat gun or hair dryer, activate the glue that is left on the joined areas till its warm and put them together again and put the little clips back on the headlights and put some clear sealant all around the headlight to avoid water getting in...and thats it..

PS. ive noticed that the light shines brighter by taking off the small metal piece that goes around the lighbulb inside......

also while having the headlights open you may want to add some city lights ...
By teal_dx
#1507 great how-to! I want to do this eventually. I have done it on a 96, but never an EG. Do you have any close up pics of your headlights by chance?
By Ex-Cvic
#1509 thnx i knew i should have taken step by step pics that day...ill see if i can find some pics.
By Ex-Cvic
#1510 Image Image here are some pics of what it looked like, I will be getting stock headlights again and doing the same thing this time i will take step by step pics.
By Jsa-SIR2
#1614 cool mite give it a go on my eg5.
good how2 mate :D

Jon
By eg-perk
#60796 good write-up, only thing different is i put mine in for about 7 - 8 minutes because after 5 i couldn't peel them apart
By CivicTypeR
#60811 What's the cooking times for a fan assisted oven? :?
By K20z3EgHatch
#217623 Here you go teal. I did it the other day

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a46 ... 24_436.jpg
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a46 ... 3-27_5.jpg
http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a46 ... 09_843.jpg
By K20z3EgHatch
#217624 I put it in for 4 mins 30 seconds. In a electronic stove/oven. And to reglue it just put the glass and light housing in for 3 mins then pushed them together. I also took out the little metal clip and will post pics of brightness differences when it gets darker
By chrono404
#217631 Me and my Bro Justlinleexxx did black housing headlights on his 88 Civic Wagon about a week ago. Figured I would throw up some new pics. Doing this on an EG is Very Similar. The same process works on OEM Delsol Headlights. I didn't try it on EG Headlights, but it should work just fine.

instead of using the oven I recommend getting a heat gun. harbor fright has them starting at $13.00. This gives you much more control over what your doing and where you want to aim the heat.

Take the clips off and then go around the seal with the heat gun.

Use a flat headed screw driver and it should peal apart when it gets warm enough.

We then mask off the inside Glass and paint this flat black, it will give a deeper dark look.

Then Mask off the inside of the light and paint it black

Assembled with the masking tape on the inside still

In the Car:

Remember to put some new silicone to make a seal when you put your headlights back together otherwise you can get water in new black housing headlights.
By DontHateonEG8
#218431 hey chrono could you please take a mug shot of the wago? i just wanna see it up close in front. i like the idea of painting inside the glass, never thought about it really
By chrono404
DontHateonEG8 wrote:hey chrono could you please take a mug shot of the wago? i just wanna see it up close in front. i like the idea of painting inside the glass, never thought about it really

By DontHateonEG8
#218603 awesome thanks!
quick question: what kind of paint did you use to spray the inside of the glass?

Also are you guys considering a slight coat of tint? might give it a more darker appearance...
By Loaf31
#345766 I also did this and took some pics that I think could be helpful.
This is on my 93 EG8. I dont have anything with the removal of the glass, but I do have some pictures of the painting process.

Before:

Comparison:

I Sanded with 220 Grit sandpaper and then wiped with Clorox wipes. Turned out great!

I also removed the light shield on the inside of the housing.
It does appear to be a bit brighter. Hope this helps! :thumb: