Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By jayboogie164
#61166 sorry for bumping but, i was kind of lost on which is the EXACT paint you got on the dupli-color website. im not sure if you got my PM ? thanks !! great work BTW
By teal_dx
#61171 Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you yet... my inbox gets flooded with PM's and I have not been on the internet much lately.

The only paint you can buy from duplicolor.com is the touch up pens (for filling scratches). For aerosol cans, shop at autozone, advanced, pep boys, walmart, summit racing, or similar auto parts stores :thumb:

use this: http://duplicolor.com/products/autospray.html

or this: http://duplicolor.com/products/truckvansuv.html
(same as auto but comes in a larger can)
By jayboogie164
#61182 its cool ! sounds good though. what color was it that you used ? granada black ?
By teal_dx
#61188 nah I just used their Universal Black. It's not metallic like the Granada, but the rest of the car is so faded, it doesn't sparkle anyways.... it's a highway beater.
By jayboogie164
#61208 sounds good ! i shouldn't apply a primer ? just sand it down and spray adhesion promoter ? how much of the promoter did you use ?
By jayboogie164
#61554 sorry for double posting but i just started mine. whats the best product to buff it ? should i use a terry cloth for the bumper or save myself the headache and get a wheel or something
By teal_dx
#61563 for lacquer paint like I suggested above, you can use an orbital buffer or a terry cloth and a lot of elbow grease. I would but an orbital buffer, they're cheap.

Then buy some abrasive compound that is made to be used after 1500 grit sanding, you can find this at an auto body store.
By jayboogie164
teal_dx wrote:for lacquer paint like I suggested above, you can use an orbital buffer or a terry cloth and a lot of elbow grease. I would but an orbital buffer, they're cheap.

Then buy some abrasive compound that is made to be used after 1500 grit sanding, you can find this at an auto body store.
oo ok thank you sir !

right now im doing my ef9 bumper for my ef then next week or so ill do the bumper on my hatch.

wish i could post pics of the bumper im doing but my dam camera broke :thumbdown:

btw you have any tips on doing fenderS?
By jayboogie164
#61616 well just finished painting the bumper. it got too late so im going to leave the clear for tomorrow.

i got the chance to snap some cell pics. poor quality but you can see it well. here they are.

went from this

to this

another question which compound did you get ? im not too familiar with compounding. :D
By teal_dx
#62785 the compound should be the kind used after 1200 or 1500 grit sanding. I like 3m's stuff. If you go to a body supply shop, the guys behind the counter in those places know their stuff. Tell him what you're doing and they will help you out with the best polish for your application :thumb:
By jayboogie164
teal_dx wrote:the compound should be the kind used after 1200 or 1500 grit sanding. I like 3m's stuff. If you go to a body supply shop, the guys behind the counter in those places know their stuff. Tell him what you're doing and they will help you out with the best polish for your application :thumb:
thank you sir ! will be doing this hopefully this weekend. youve been very helpful !
By eydriyan
#63980 hey i got a question for fender, I just wanted to change the color, what grit should i use and do i need adhesion prom. for that too after i sand it?
By teal_dx
eydriyan wrote:hey i got a question for fender, I just wanted to change the color, what grit should i use and do i need adhesion prom. for that too after i sand it?

I'd sand it nice & even with some 600 grit, just to give the new paint something to bite to. Don't sand down to the metal, then you can get by w/o primer or adhesion promoter.

Just be sure the surface is clean & oil/grease free :thumb:
By eydriyan
#64163 kool, thanks. so just sand it with 600 then paint?