Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By 95_relio
#347514 Anybody paint there own car out there if so what kind of paint did you use? Planning on painting mine myself but no idea what kind of paint would be best to use.
By teal_dx
#347520 Really depends on your budget. There's PPG, BASF, Sherwin Auto for the deep pockets. Or I've seen the stuff that Summit Racing sells for a lot less and it looked pretty good too. Unless you have $ to burn or are building an immaculate show car, There's no need to drop $1k+ on paint alone.
By 95_relio
#347531 [quote="teal_dx"]Really depends on your budget. There's PPG, BASF, Sherwin Auto for the deep pockets. Or I've seen the stuff that Summit Racing sells for a lot less and it looked pretty good too. Unless you have $ to burn or are building an immaculate show car, There's no need to drop $1k+ on paint alone.[/quote]

Have you ever painted a car yourself?
By 95_relio
#347533 [quote="teal_dx"]Yeah. The prep work will determine the quality of the end result more than the quality of the paint. :thumb:[/quote]

Yeah that's something I always keep in mind, what mind of paint did you use?
By teal_dx
#347536 I've used everything from aerosol to lacquer to urethane. Urethane is the way to go. As far as brand, you get what you pay for. No need to go the most expensive, but don't go the cheapest either. Somewhere in the middle is good. :thumb:

Also if you want that mirror finish, be sure to put on some extra coats of clear so you can wet sand out any orange peel.

If you look at a black ford truck or chevy van next to a black mercedes or lexus, you'll see that the luxury vehicles have very little to no orange peel compared to a cheaper vehicle and it looks so much better :thumb:
By 95_relio
#347553 [quote="teal_dx"]I've used everything from aerosol to lacquer to urethane. Urethane is the way to go. As far as brand, you get what you pay for. No need to go the most expensive, but don't go the cheapest either. Somewhere in the middle is good. :thumb:

Also if you want that mirror finish, be sure to put on some extra coats of clear so you can wet sand out any orange peel.

If you look at a black ford truck or chevy van next to a black mercedes or lexus, you'll see that the luxury vehicles have very little to no orange peel compared to a cheaper vehicle and it looks so much better :thumb:[/quote]

Ever use rustoleum to paint a car by any chance?
By 95_relio
#347579 [quote="teal_dx"]Yes, actually my civic. Click the link in my sig to see the build thread.[/quote]

Holy crap that looks good how long has it been? And is there a clear coat on it?
By 95_relio
#347584 [quote="teal_dx"]I painted it in 06, no clear. I wet sanded and polished it in 2010.[/quote]

Was the green you used rustoleum too? And was it all roller painted?