Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By dmar13
#340292 I just finished with the projector retrofit and wired up the ballast. went to power up the lights only the left projector works but not the right projector. I figured it was a bad ground so I moved it the the battery ground. still didn't light up. all the connections are fine. I don't have a clue what else to do next exept to take a voltmeter to the power wire of the ballast to see if theres power.

anybody have a list of possible things to be wrong?

ok just tested the voltage on a cheapy volt meter. the 12 v light came up on both power wires that plugs into the morimoto ballast. so does this sound like its the ballast or the bulb that's having the issue?

I know one thing tho, I can hear a humming noise coming from the ballast WITH the working projector. any ideas?
By dmar13
#340297 ok did another voltage test. both read 12 volts going to the ballast. so that means the ballast or bulb is toast. so, I swaped the ballast from left to right. and it turns out the ballast is not the issue. so that only leaves the bulb as the culprit. bummer cuz I was pretty carful with cleaning the bulb and didn't bump it on installation, maybe a bad bulb from the get go. one more test tho, im gunna swap the bulbs from left to right like the ballast, to see if its really the bulb as the issue.. thanks for the advice sedan guy.
By mitch6
#340298 could be a number of things:

1) potentially bad ballast
2) potentially bad bulb
3) need an H4 relay harness

First things first, test to see if your bulb and ballast on the right side (side that does not turn on) is working. This is very simple,

Take the bulb out of the right side and hook it up to the ballast on the left side that works (Note: place the working bulb in the right side for the mean time to have the whole system still hooked up).

Power it up, see if the bulb turns on. If the bulb turns on, you know the bulb is good, so the next step just to make sure you know what going on with the right side ballast is to swap the right side ballast to the working left side with a working bulb and see if that also powers the bulb on.

This can confirm if one of your ballast or bulbs are no good.

ALSO*** what kind of bulbs and ballast did you buy? what manufacture? If its ebay china ballast or bulbs, your whole project is a waste of money... since you will not even unlock half the potential of the retrofit.

Also where did you buy your D2S bulb connector adapters from? Sometimes they have bad internal connections depending on the manufacture. I recommend Philips always, and otherwise theretrofitsource has decent ones.

Also make sure you DOUBLE CHECK your ballast polarity connections!!!! Just because the connector "CLIPs" into the ballast connector does not mean you have matched power with power and ground with ground. Double check both connectors and make sure you are hooking it up right.

If your ballast anf bulbs appear to be okay, you probably need to buy a relay harness. You will probably need one regardless to make the bi-zenon work.

Give this all a try and let us know what up :thumb:
By dmar13
#340299 I bought the whole kit from trs. bixenon bulbs, harness proectors and ballast all from morimoto. I did check the conections but i will flip the connections to be very sure. ill try these ideas and tell you guys wha the fix was. thanks a lot guys
By dmar13
#340317 Well so much for these projectors. I took the bullbs out of the housings to find that the right headlight(that didnt turn on from the start) looks bad compared to the working bulb. The working bulb was still clear but had a tiny bit of residue in the glass bubble ,im guessing where the xenon gas is trapped. The bulb that doesnt work on the other hand is completly yellow inside the glass bubble. Probly defective from the start but i beleive thats the problem, do you guys think so? Well i heard of how good the customer service is for TRS so imma give it a shot and see if i can get another pair of HID bulbs. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for the replies.
By mitch6
dmar13 wrote:Well so much for these projectors. I took the bullbs out of the housings to find that the right headlight(that didnt turn on from the start) looks bad compared to the working bulb. The working bulb was still clear but had a tiny bit of residue in the glass bubble ,im guessing where the xenon gas is trapped. The bulb that doesnt work on the other hand is completly yellow inside the glass bubble. Probly defective from the start but i beleive thats the problem, do you guys think so? Well i heard of how good the customer service is for TRS so imma give it a shot and see if i can get another pair of HID bulbs. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for the replies.

If it is a little bit of yellow-ish residue, that's normal and healthy. If it is full of it, then that is a good sign of a bad bulb. TRS will send you a replacement bulb, just describe to them how you tested it was a bad bulb, and they will send you ONE* single replacement bulb. Let me know how it all goes. Also it's not a bad idea to test the system without the relayharness as well, should work, just the bi-xenon will only activate on one projector rather than the both.
By dmar13
#340676 well got my 4300k morimoto HID in the mail, installed it and it works now. so I got a faulty bulb. one problem but minor. after the HIDs warm up after a minute, the replacement HID I just got in the mail shines a white light color while the other HID that worked from the start shines a sunlight color. I also noticed the printing is different between the two bulbs. one bulb sais ''Morimoto 4300k" while the other sais"3five 4300k". suppose to be the same exact bulb. color difference bothers me but ohh well. problem solved, next move, skunk 2 short shifter. thanks for the replies.