Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By fitimio
#339097 Hey guys, Im thinking about welding in new quorter panels, and fixing my dents. I will be hitting any bondo exposed area with primer. Then taking it to a shop and doing 2 coats gray primer, and 3 coats of single stage paint. Im keeping the stock OEM red color on on 92' hatch. Is 3 coats of single stage enough on top of 2 coats gray primer. Also whats a good price to pay for this for decent work, im ok with wetsanding after its painted.
By teal_dx
#339111 When it comes to paint & body work, you really get what you pay for. Nobody expects you to spend $2000 on painting a civic. On the other hand, Macco paint jobs used to start at a few hundred bucks. It really comes down to researching reputable body shops in your area. If you're going to do the prep and wetsanding//polishing, then I think somewhere between $500-$1000 would be reasonable for a quality paint job from a reputable body shop. Be sure you've done all the proper prep work though. :thumb:
By Axix23
#339140 you prolly wanna use like red primer. I notice you had to use more coats to cover the gray primer, but it also depends what color your painting the car too.
By fitimio
#339196 Sweet, alright. I think Im sticking with the gray primer though. And I was looking to spend around $500.
By jedrick
#339707 No way of telling how many coats you may need but average on single stage is about 2 but ur wet sanding so 3 sounds good ur wet sanding so u need a lil extra, it all comes down to how much it takes to cover the primer,it depends on how thick/diluted the paint is,you can always ask them to put some red die in the primer and that will result in less coats and a more intense color which they might do themselves to use less paint cause the primer is cheaper and you don't want super thick paint cause then it will chip off,for a decent job u will pay 1000 or more in a really good shop and about 500 to 800 in an ok one and because you are doing the foundation of the paint job (body work etc.) they might not give u a warranty on the paint which is usually about a year from my experience,more if u have high end products, just make sure u clean up ur surfaces really good and grind or sand good where u apply bondo, btw awesome idea of wet sanding careful on edges/corners paint is thinner) it after ur gonna have a really nice wet looking shine for a while.....
By jedrick
#339708 forgot to say if u use white or a light color primer/ base u get a brighter red black base u get a deeper darker red