Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By rustyrex
#337734 I want to repaint my OEM spoiler. I have it off the car and found rust on the metal portion under the plastic shell. How do I separate the black plastic piece from the metal piece?
By rustyrex
#337801 Anyone
By PirateEG
#344641 I just picked one up today. If you even still need to check this...

I would be hard pressed to see it separate easily. There looks to just be a few screws and plastic clips holding it all together, but there is also an adhesive on there from the factory holding it all together.

You MIGHT be able to heat it up with a heat gun, but you probably risk warping it instead of removing it.
By rustyrex
#344643 I appreciate the reply. I messed with it for a few hours and gave up lol
By PirateEG
#344644 no problem. I was actually looking for information on painting the plastic...

kind of want my junkyard find to be all white to match the car, but there is the plastic texture crap... which would either involve THIN bondo or HEAVY primer filler... black it will stay i guess.
By rustyrex
#344652 Just sand the texture off. That's what I did with mine. That's one reason why I wanted to separate it. I just slapped some 400 onto my orbital dander to take the texture off then hit it with 600 before primer
By PirateEG
#344669 I guess I will give it a go, need to get a new rattle can to finish the roof molding and do the spoiler, so I will have enough.

I have high grit than that, so we will see how it goes. The pepboys by me had barrett jackson sand paper on clearance, picked up a BUNCH of packages of sand paper and scotch pads for 1.90 a pop. Hell of a deal, have full supply of 80, 220, 400, 600, 1000, 1200, fine scotch and very fine scotch.

also in the process of refinishing and painting the rims that came with the car, going graphite with matte clear, and white spoiler.
By Graham
#344792 The plastic sections do come off, you take the snall side parts off first then the middle bit. There's terrible clips inside that are white and will 100% break but between sliding it back in place and the obvious screws/ clips and even a small bit of sealer you can reattach it securely. Just make sure the remains of the clips are out the spoiler when they break or they rattle around!