Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By brandoff88
#337113 anyone have any idea how much Id be looking at to have a body shop cut my old core support off and weld the new one on, I bought the new core support, and I was wondering if anyone had any previous experience with this so I have an idea when I call the body shops in my area next week
By bks84
#337117 Everyone can toss numbers out on the internet, but the sure-fire way to get an actual estimate... is to call a body shop.
By xzachrickx
#337302 i did a core support on my car myself and it cost like 96 dollars for the core support itself. it was an aftermarket core support. i now work for honda/acura and get get pretty good deals on what ever honda parts i need. wish i would have went oem for sure. had to do some bending to get the aftermarket junk to match up right lol. but for a body shop to do it the have to tear the car down....proable 2 hours.... get it on a frame rack couple hours in making sure the frame rails are still squared up. then weld the new one one. no idea of a cost on all this just know it is time consuming, and with something being as time consuming as that it is going to cost kinda alot :/
By brandoff88
#337314 that's the thing I need to see if the frame rails are still true, because when my father in law gave it too much gas (the reason its fucked up) I don't know if it pulled the frame rails too...I do have a friend that said he would help cut off the old one and weld the new one on, and he has lots of experience, but I don't know if he knows how to make sure its all straight, he said we have to brace the frame rails first, which makes sense, and the car is already pretty much stripped, I plan to pull the motor back out as is since it runs just fine, that way I can do some stuff in the bay as well. I don't think a body shop would have to tear it down, as I stripped it down when I ordered the core support, so I think they would have to just check, cut the old one off, make adjustments as needed, and weld the new one on, so im thinking of maybe like 5-8 hours of work. but also if it goes to the body shop I figure why not have it painted, I already sanded everything down to the factory color and all they would have to do is block it down and shoot the color so I have a few decisions and routes I could go.....
By Ajax1989
#337340 most shops are gonna want about 4 hrs to pull a frame

2 hrs for set up and 2 hrs pull and that is frame time
and for the core support after everything is removed it about a hr or 2
for the install at body rate

and since Hondas are unibody it is VERY VERY unsafe to cut in half (ony safe if you cut and weld where Honda says to)and weld new rails on. most cars are a total loss when there is a lot of rail damage

I work for a ins company and i write estimates all day
what i just said above is to ins standards

if you want to cut off your rails and weld new ones on go for it
but if you crash and those welds don't hold up you can be seriously injured

i still got my vin from my old eg. ill type up a estimate and see what your looking at ROUGHLY price wise, but hrs wise should be spot on or very close as my system used factory times
By Ajax1989
#337343 to have 2 new rail welded and a new core support put on
your looking around 3500-4000.. that's with parts, labor and paint(labor times are here local, your rates will be diff)

here is just a rough basic estimate the labor times are what Honda says it takes and these are oem prices you can find clips or even recycled parts
but no matter where you go the labor hours are gonna be same as what im showing here

8hrs for each rail and 8.5 hrs for the core support

By brandoff88
#337422 well like I said the car is stripped already plus I would yank the motor, and I don't even know IF the rails were damaged, I don't think so it sorta just bent the latch area, andi made it worse trying to fix it. I bought the new core supports so I would just need to make sure its straight and have them cut and weld, I don't think that would be 3500 bucks....all my panels seem to line up very nicely, and just gotta do the small tweaks but im am going to start looking around shortly...
By xzachrickx
#337424 DIY!!!! WAY cheaper just dont do it if you dont know what you are doing lol
By brandoff88
#337432 well like I said I got a friend whos done it many times my only worry is IF the frame got bent ill be worse off than just keeping this one on there