Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By jadeydrag0117
#334911 FYI:
im paint some car parts
trying to save on $$, i bought two cans of 2k urthane acrylic filler, and 2k epoxy primer to paint my bumper and other parts.

heres the situation:
ANYWAYS for the bumper i scuffed the old paint down with scotch bride and painted a good wet coat over the bondo / raw plastic.
and for the rest of the bumper i just sprayed one light coat of epoxy primer (over the scuffed area) ,

question= is the light coat good enough for new paint color coat? ( i didnt feel good about just painting over the scuffed paint and wanted to save on materials so sprayed this very thin layer of primer over it )
By jadeydrag0117
teal_dx wrote:If the primer is not uniform and you can see patches of color beneath, it could show in the paint if it is a light color

black paint! 8) ...

hey i have another question too, so im having a discussion with my local autobody supply store store guy, and he says i was NOT suppose to put the EPOXY right on the bumper and later if someone hits me it will crack, and i feel that he is correct BUT the primer feels REALLY strong and adhered really well so... iono i bought some stripper but this project is costing me more than id like and i just want to paint over the primer i already sprayed .

what do you think/?
By jadeydrag0117
teal_dx wrote:Bumpers flex so urethane should have been used on the bumpers. I dont think the epoxy will give much flex.

so i shud just strip the bumper with epoxy on it? :cry: :cry:

what will be the result if i just paint over the epoxy? lol
By jadeydrag0117
teal_dx wrote:Hard to say... it may crack down the road or it may not.

ill just go for it , i have stripper and some extra 2k urethane if anything goes wrong later
By jedrick
#339713 teal and the store guys are right epoxy is dry and brittle, the scuffing alone is fine but if u want a smooth finish use 320 to 400 , u can use a plastic adhesive promoter that is like water and pink in color so paint or primer stick better to plastic material this product gets misted on not applied like clear or primer let it flash and continue as usual they have products that are more flexible than others and u can also add less hardener but u need to been doing it for a while to know how much is enough if u want it to dry enough
By jadeydrag0117
jedrick wrote:teal and the store guys are right epoxy is dry and brittle, the scuffing alone is fine but if u want a smooth finish use 320 to 400 , u can use a plastic adhesive promoter that is like water and pink in color so paint or primer stick better to plastic material this product gets misted on not applied like clear or primer let it flash and continue as usual they have products that are more flexible than others and u can also add less hardener but u need to been doing it for a while to know how much is enough if u want it to dry enough

thanks for the reply to my +5 month old post...
By jedrick
#339716 oh shit i thought i seen november its ok thoug i still got a nobbie status i can blame that
By jadeydrag0117
jedrick wrote:oh shit i thought i seen november its ok thoug i still got a nobbie status i can blame that

lol no hard feelings i was just joking , i dont actually care... :lol: