Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By H0nda_Crazy
#331060 Image

So what do you guys think? It's dual stage or whatever single stage isn't. I the hood on the car is all bent to crap, the front right fender has nasty bondo on it, the radiator support is bent in and the whole car was red.

I was going to pay just $500 for him to paint it then find someone else to reassemble it with the good parts that are painted in the pic. But for another 500 I'm going to have him assemble it all also. The only flaw he says there is so far is there was more bondo on the rear left quarter panel. Since I initially was only paying for paint he sanded and sprayed over it and it cracked. I can live with a little learning experience I guess. Now....... Discuss pls.
By PGB
#331061 I would have had it repaired first. I think you'll regret painting it. There's also nothing wrong with Body Filler. It must have been hit again after being fixed. It doesnt just crack lol
She's nice and shiny though. Love fresh paint :thumb:
By Vti93T
#331076 car looks great..loving the color choice :)
By H0nda_Crazy
PGB wrote:I would have had it repaired first. I think you'll regret painting it. There's also nothing wrong with Body Filler. It must have been hit again after being fixed. It doesnt just crack lol
She's nice and shiny though. Love fresh paint :thumb:

Yeah I didn't know the bondo was there. Had I know i would have asked him to repair that. Because one of the fenders had bondo and I replaced it. I simply didn't know it was there and he just couldn't repair it since I hadn't paid for that kind of work.
By H0nda_Crazy
#331083 Image

Here's a pic of it before. Wish I had taken more so I can appreciate the difference more. You can see the hood smashed in and the ugly hood pins. What you can't see is there's hot glue holding the right corner lamp in, the front right fender has a bunch of cracked bondo, the bumper has a huge crack going up to the vents, the red is flaked, and the color isn't consistent like someone rattled canned it with the wrong red.
By Axix23
#332199 paint looks nice
By flamingdragon
#354799 where'd you find a shop that did it for $500?
all the paint shops i've asked around were $2k+
By suspendedHatch
#354801 Doesn't seem good that the side bumpers and door handles weren't masked. You didn't do the door jams, engine bay. Now you have problems because it wasn't repaired and prepped. I think it was better off before you painted it :?
By TrailerTrash
teal_dx wrote:I love that color! $500 to put on lights, hood and a bumper seems a little steep. On the plus side, if he messes any of them up, it is on him, not you.

i love the color too.

500 is a bit steep but a few years ago my womans hood flew open and smashed her windsheild in and bent the hood inside out. so i told the body shop that put the new windshield in that i had a hood for the car and he goes ok just drop it off and we will put it on as soon as we do the windshield. so i did because i didnt give it a 2nd thought. and they charged her $90 just to put the hood on. :x :x :x
By teal_dx
flamingdragon wrote:where'd you find a shop that did it for $500?
all the paint shops i've asked around were $2k+

check out http://www.maaco.com/auto_paint.html

They do minimal prep, but I know people who have done all the body & prep themselves (strip the car to a bare shell- Maaco will only mask it off) and had a decent looking paint job for cheap.

I've heard plenty of horror stories as well. I think it depends on the competency of your local Maaco shop.